May 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
While the Marlins are off to a surprisingly strong start, things aren’t going so well for their Triple-A team the New Orleans Zephyrs.
According to the New Orleans Advocate, teammates (and former big leaguers) Sam Dyson and Chris Hatcher got into a barroom fight that resulted in Hatcher breaking Dyson’s jaw with a punch. Hatcher has been suspended five games by the team, while Dyson needed surgery to fix his jaw and is expected to miss six weeks of action.
And whenever Dyson does return he’ll have to see plenty of Hatcher, because they’re both relievers and relievers mostly just sit around together in the bullpen during games waiting for their number to be called. Should be fun and not at all uncomfortable.
Hatcher is 29 years old and has spent parts of three seasons in the majors with the Marlins, logging 34 innings with a 7.22 ERA. He saved 33 games for the Zephyrs last season. Dyson is 26 years old and was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays last season, throwing 11 innings for the Marlins along with his 2.81 ERA in the minors.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)