May 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
While the Marlins are off to a surprisingly strong start, things aren’t going so well for their Triple-A team the New Orleans Zephyrs.
According to the New Orleans Advocate, teammates (and former big leaguers) Sam Dyson and Chris Hatcher got into a barroom fight that resulted in Hatcher breaking Dyson’s jaw with a punch. Hatcher has been suspended five games by the team, while Dyson needed surgery to fix his jaw and is expected to miss six weeks of action.
And whenever Dyson does return he’ll have to see plenty of Hatcher, because they’re both relievers and relievers mostly just sit around together in the bullpen during games waiting for their number to be called. Should be fun and not at all uncomfortable.
Hatcher is 29 years old and has spent parts of three seasons in the majors with the Marlins, logging 34 innings with a 7.22 ERA. He saved 33 games for the Zephyrs last season. Dyson is 26 years old and was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays last season, throwing 11 innings for the Marlins along with his 2.81 ERA in the minors.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)