May 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
While the Marlins are off to a surprisingly strong start, things aren’t going so well for their Triple-A team the New Orleans Zephyrs.
According to the New Orleans Advocate, teammates (and former big leaguers) Sam Dyson and Chris Hatcher got into a barroom fight that resulted in Hatcher breaking Dyson’s jaw with a punch. Hatcher has been suspended five games by the team, while Dyson needed surgery to fix his jaw and is expected to miss six weeks of action.
And whenever Dyson does return he’ll have to see plenty of Hatcher, because they’re both relievers and relievers mostly just sit around together in the bullpen during games waiting for their number to be called. Should be fun and not at all uncomfortable.
Hatcher is 29 years old and has spent parts of three seasons in the majors with the Marlins, logging 34 innings with a 7.22 ERA. He saved 33 games for the Zephyrs last season. Dyson is 26 years old and was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays last season, throwing 11 innings for the Marlins along with his 2.81 ERA in the minors.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 35
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)