One Marlins minor leaguer broke another Marlins minor leaguer’s jaw in a bar fight

May 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

road house

While the Marlins are off to a surprisingly strong start, things aren’t going so well for their Triple-A team the New Orleans Zephyrs.

According to the New Orleans Advocate, teammates (and former big leaguers) Sam Dyson and Chris Hatcher got into a barroom fight that resulted in Hatcher breaking Dyson’s jaw with a punch. Hatcher has been suspended five games by the team, while Dyson needed surgery to fix his jaw and is expected to miss six weeks of action.

And whenever Dyson does return he’ll have to see plenty of Hatcher, because they’re both relievers and relievers mostly just sit around together in the bullpen during games waiting for their number to be called. Should be fun and not at all uncomfortable.

Hatcher is 29 years old and has spent parts of three seasons in the majors with the Marlins, logging 34 innings with a 7.22 ERA. He saved 33 games for the Zephyrs last season. Dyson is 26 years old and was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays last season, throwing 11 innings for the Marlins along with his 2.81 ERA in the minors.

1. downvotesforeveryone - May 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I want you to be nice … until it’s time to not be nice.

2. Old Gator - May 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

The Feesh need this sort of thing. Bring it up to the show! APBA Guy can tell you what that sort of “chemistry” did for he beloved As back in the good old days, and Len can tell you how the love affair between Billy and Reggie galvanized the Borg onceuponatime.

• gibbyfan - May 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Hey Gator — I must admit that as a Cardinal fan I only follow other teams casually at best. Having said that, I am impressed with how well the Marlins are dong, especially in the wake of all the controvery surrounding the ownership. What’s up down there? Was ownership really just that smart all along?

• jerze2387 - May 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Exactly. Wasn’t the inter team fight the turning point in major league? Since they’re owned by the male version of Rachel phelps, it’s a perfect parallel. Plus their roster of young “who are these Effin guys” and washed up vets (furcal, etc) this was bound to happen. Now they’ll win the series.

• Old Gator - May 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM

@jerze – more like the male version of Cameron Diaz in Any Given Sunday; Scrooge McLoria might have inspired Charlton Heston to comment that he wouldn’t be surprised if Scrooge ate his children as well.

• Old Gator - May 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Gibby: no, the ownership was that cheap. If you want to give them credit for this early season surge, you also need to remember that they take a demerit for the Anacharsis Klootz deputation they put on the field two years ago and last year. As I pointed out (and it’s not like I was the first to do so) in the ATH this morning, even the worst teams go on hot streaks and the best ones take dives from time to time. I’d be delighted to see them keep this up, but when you look at what they’ve put on the field, that means you have to bet on career years out of the journeymen and scrapheap guys and also hope that Ozuna can be consistent for a change, that the Iron Giant will stay healthy, and that my beloved Casey McGehee will hit a home run some time this season. Obviously the pitching is the key here but literally all of these kids need to stay healthy and the boolpen clearly needs work. I’ll be watching Carter Caps very closely to see if (Buddha be compassionate) he renders Pedro Marmol expendable enough to save him for hopeless case mop-ups. As the season wears on, as they say, the cream rises to the top. The Gnats, the Braves and the better teams in the Central and West will round into shape (injuries permitting).

• gibbyfan - May 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Thanks Gator–Sounds like it might be just a matter of early good luck.
        I did recall ownership boldy stating, after the big departure of talent, something to the effect that his many critics knew little about baseball and his moves would produce a winner. He has to be looking pretty good on that one for now.
        I for one will be rooting for them–love an underdog

3. chaseutley - May 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Sounds like somebody put baby in the corner, again. Wait…. Wrong movie.

4. rickditka - May 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM

” yer too stupid to have a good time”

5. philliesblow - May 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Crash Davis: Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your left? Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Huh?
    Crash Davis: Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your LEFT?
    Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My left.
    Crash Davis: Good! That’s good; when you get in a fight with a drunk you don’t hit him with your pitching hand. God, I can’t keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwin’ around and help me up.

6. thomas844 - May 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM

My favorite quote from Road House: “Pain don’t hurt.”

7. blabidibla - May 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Grit!

8. nomoreliesfortoday - May 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM

“the double douche?” ~ Sam Elliot.

9. downvotesforeveryone - May 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM

“I used to f*** guys like you in prison.”

10. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (5065)