May 8, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
In need of infield help with Jurickson Profar and Kevin Kouzmanoff on the 60-day disabled list and Donnie Murphy hurting with a neck injury, the Rangers have decided to call up 20-year-old top prospect Rougned Odor well ahead of his expected debut timetable.
Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus both ranked Odor among their top-50 prospects this season and he was holding his own at Double-A despite being one of the youngest players in the Texas League, hitting .279 with six homers and a .763 OPS in 32 games.
However, those numbers certainly don’t scream MLB-ready and Odor’s poor 22/7 K/BB ratio suggest he may struggle initially against big leaguers. Still, in terms of raw talent he’s among the best infield prospects in baseball. And let’s focus on the truly important thing here: “Rougned Odor” is an amazing name.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)