May 8, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Sergio Romo is in the second year of a two-year, $9 million deal which took him through his arbitration years. With free agency looming, however, there will likely not be a new deal between the Giants and their closer. Jon Heyman reports that Romo and the team have agreed to hold off on contract talks, likely until the end of the season.
Committing big money to closers is usually a sucker’s bet, and that’s true even if Romo is currently 10-for-10 in save chances with 1.88 ERA so far this season. If I was Brian Sabean I’d wait too.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 77
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)