May 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Tigers have been cruising along merrily lately, winning eight in a row. All good things must come to an end, however, and that win streak is no exception. The Astros beat them 6-2 this afternoon.
The Tigers took a 2-0 lead on a Nick Castellanos double and a Victor Martinez homer, but that’s all they’d get off Dallas Keuchel and the Astros’ pen. Keuchel had nice command of all of his pitches today, striking out seven and not walking a soul in seven and two thirds. Meanwhile, Drew Smyly tossed 91 pitches in five and a third, giving up George Springer’s first big league homer and a two-run double to Jose Altuve. Tiger relievers Evan Reed and Justin Miller each gave up homers as well. Miller’s was a two-run shot to Matt Dominguez.
Randomly, I happened to wear my Astros shirt and cap today. As I was finishing up this recap I mentioned that to my Tigers fan girlfriend. She’s not pleased. I’m going to the Tigers game with her on Saturday. I need to get some Twins gear. In for a penny, in for a pound.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)