May 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Tigers have been cruising along merrily lately, winning eight in a row. All good things must come to an end, however, and that win streak is no exception. The Astros beat them 6-2 this afternoon.
The Tigers took a 2-0 lead on a Nick Castellanos double and a Victor Martinez homer, but that’s all they’d get off Dallas Keuchel and the Astros’ pen. Keuchel had nice command of all of his pitches today, striking out seven and not walking a soul in seven and two thirds. Meanwhile, Drew Smyly tossed 91 pitches in five and a third, giving up George Springer’s first big league homer and a two-run double to Jose Altuve. Tiger relievers Evan Reed and Justin Miller each gave up homers as well. Miller’s was a two-run shot to Matt Dominguez.
Randomly, I happened to wear my Astros shirt and cap today. As I was finishing up this recap I mentioned that to my Tigers fan girlfriend. She’s not pleased. I’m going to the Tigers game with her on Saturday. I need to get some Twins gear. In for a penny, in for a pound.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)