May 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Tigers have been cruising along merrily lately, winning eight in a row. All good things must come to an end, however, and that win streak is no exception. The Astros beat them 6-2 this afternoon.
The Tigers took a 2-0 lead on a Nick Castellanos double and a Victor Martinez homer, but that’s all they’d get off Dallas Keuchel and the Astros’ pen. Keuchel had nice command of all of his pitches today, striking out seven and not walking a soul in seven and two thirds. Meanwhile, Drew Smyly tossed 91 pitches in five and a third, giving up George Springer’s first big league homer and a two-run double to Jose Altuve. Tiger relievers Evan Reed and Justin Miller each gave up homers as well. Miller’s was a two-run shot to Matt Dominguez.
Randomly, I happened to wear my Astros shirt and cap today. As I was finishing up this recap I mentioned that to my Tigers fan girlfriend. She’s not pleased. I’m going to the Tigers game with her on Saturday. I need to get some Twins gear. In for a penny, in for a pound.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)