May 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
The Tigers have been cruising along merrily lately, winning eight in a row. All good things must come to an end, however, and that win streak is no exception. The Astros beat them 6-2 this afternoon.
The Tigers took a 2-0 lead on a Nick Castellanos double and a Victor Martinez homer, but that’s all they’d get off Dallas Keuchel and the Astros’ pen. Keuchel had nice command of all of his pitches today, striking out seven and not walking a soul in seven and two thirds. Meanwhile, Drew Smyly tossed 91 pitches in five and a third, giving up George Springer’s first big league homer and a two-run double to Jose Altuve. Tiger relievers Evan Reed and Justin Miller each gave up homers as well. Miller’s was a two-run shot to Matt Dominguez.
Randomly, I happened to wear my Astros shirt and cap today. As I was finishing up this recap I mentioned that to my Tigers fan girlfriend. She’s not pleased. I’m going to the Tigers game with her on Saturday. I need to get some Twins gear. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Tommy Milone underwent neck surgery in December to remove a benign tumor, but he was able to resume throwing just over two weeks later.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:35 PM EST
Top prospect Byron Buxton could be wearing a Twins uniform in the major leagues at some point this season according to GM Terry Ryan.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The Tigers and reliever Al Alburquerque avoided arbitration with a one-year deal on Saturday.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:25 PM EST
A Jonathan Papelbon trade to the Brewers may not be happening after all.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Franklin Gutierrez could make a return to the Mariners. The 31-year-old outfielder has had trouble staying healthy over the last few years.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EST
Duensing he has been useful and durable as a middle reliever over the past two seasons, posting a 3.67 ERA (110 ERA+) in 115 1/3 innings over 135 appearances.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:53 PM EST
Beachy is currently making his way back from his second Tommy John surgery.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EST
The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.
Jan 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Check out this scouting report from when Banks was 22 years old.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:40 PM EST
From the start, even in those turbulent times, even though Chicago was finding its way in a changing America, people in Chicago did not see the color of his skin. From the start, Chicago loved Ernie Banks.
Ryan Vogelsong “really wasn’t comfortable with what was going on” with Astros before returning to Giants
Jan 24, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
Did something strange happen between Ryan Vogelsong and the Astros which led to his return to the Giants?
Jan 24, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
Coleman, who ranks sixth on MLB’s all-time list with 752 stolen bases, spent last the two seasons as a minor league outfield/baserunning coach with the Astros.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Abad, 29, posted an excellent 1.57 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio across 57 1/3 innings out of Oakland’s bullpen in 2014.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
Reactions from a baseball world in mourning after the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 AM EST
With Rob Manfred set to take over for Bud Selig as MLB commissioner on Sunday, Alex Rodriguez recently paid him a visit in an attempt to clear the air and turn the page on the drama surrounding the Biogenesis scandal.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:55 AM EST
Ernie Banks, 1931-2015.
Jan 23, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
There was only one Mr. Cub. And he was one of the greatest men in baseball history.
Jan 23, 2015, 10:55 PM EST
The Indians are considering bringing Nolan Reimold on board.
Jan 23, 2015, 9:50 PM EST
The Astros and utilityman Marwin Gonzalez avoided arbitration on Friday.
Jan 23, 2015, 8:45 PM EST
The Braves added some outfield depth on Friday, claiming Eury Perez off waivers from the Yankees.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)