May 8, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Sam Fuld has been playing since crashing into the outfield wall last Friday, but this morning he woke up with a severe headache and the Twins have placed him on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Fuld has been starting in center field for the Twins because the normal starter, Aaron Hicks, was placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list last week. And in addition to Hicks and now Fuld the Twins have also used the concussion DL for Joe Mauer, Ryan Doumit, Trevor Plouffe, and Wilkin Ramirez within the past year. And before that Justin Morneau‘s career was nearly ruined by a concussion.
As for who’ll play center field for the Twins now … well, today it’s Eduardo Escobar, a career-long infielder with zero center field experience who looked terrible in left field yesterday and misplayed a ball that probably cost Minnesota a game. Eduardo Nunez is another option, but he’s also a career-long infielder. And to think, not so long ago the Twins felt they had so much organizational center field depth that they traded Denard Span and Ben Revere in the same offseason.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)