May 9, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Back end of the Angels rotation stunk on ice last year. The three-way trade with the Dbacks was designed to shore up the rotation, bringing in Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs. Skaggs is still in the back of the rotation, but Santiago isn’t: the Angels just demoted him to the bullpen.
The move is considered temporary, but it’s probably deserved. Santiago has posted a 5.19 ERA over his first seven starts and is walking 4.7 batters per nine innings.
Who takes his place in the rotation is unclear.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)