May 9, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports a handful of Athletics roster moves. First, the A’s have placed reliever Ryan Cook on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 8, due to a muscle strain in his right forearm. It’s Cook’s second stint on the DL this season as he missed the beginning of the season with inflammation in his right shoulder.
The A’s have sent starter Dan Straily down to Triple-A Sacramento as the 25-year-old right-hander struggled in his first seven starts, posting a 4.93 ERA in 38 1/3 innings due in large part to his allowing a league-leading nine home runs. Drew Pomeranz, who threw five shutout innings in the second game of Wednesday’s double-header against the Mariners, will remain in the rotation, taking Straily’s place.
To fill the two roster spots vacated by Cook and Straily, the A’s have promoted Joe Savery and Fernando Rodriguez from Triple-A. Savery had posted a 3.86 ERA in 11 2/3 innings of relief while Rodriguez posted a 0.73 ERA in 12 1/3 innings out of the ‘pen.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)