May 9, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports a handful of Athletics roster moves. First, the A’s have placed reliever Ryan Cook on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 8, due to a muscle strain in his right forearm. It’s Cook’s second stint on the DL this season as he missed the beginning of the season with inflammation in his right shoulder.
The A’s have sent starter Dan Straily down to Triple-A Sacramento as the 25-year-old right-hander struggled in his first seven starts, posting a 4.93 ERA in 38 1/3 innings due in large part to his allowing a league-leading nine home runs. Drew Pomeranz, who threw five shutout innings in the second game of Wednesday’s double-header against the Mariners, will remain in the rotation, taking Straily’s place.
To fill the two roster spots vacated by Cook and Straily, the A’s have promoted Joe Savery and Fernando Rodriguez from Triple-A. Savery had posted a 3.86 ERA in 11 2/3 innings of relief while Rodriguez posted a 0.73 ERA in 12 1/3 innings out of the ‘pen.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)