May 9, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports a handful of Athletics roster moves. First, the A’s have placed reliever Ryan Cook on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 8, due to a muscle strain in his right forearm. It’s Cook’s second stint on the DL this season as he missed the beginning of the season with inflammation in his right shoulder.
The A’s have sent starter Dan Straily down to Triple-A Sacramento as the 25-year-old right-hander struggled in his first seven starts, posting a 4.93 ERA in 38 1/3 innings due in large part to his allowing a league-leading nine home runs. Drew Pomeranz, who threw five shutout innings in the second game of Wednesday’s double-header against the Mariners, will remain in the rotation, taking Straily’s place.
To fill the two roster spots vacated by Cook and Straily, the A’s have promoted Joe Savery and Fernando Rodriguez from Triple-A. Savery had posted a 3.86 ERA in 11 2/3 innings of relief while Rodriguez posted a 0.73 ERA in 12 1/3 innings out of the ‘pen.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)