May 9, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Giants first baseman Brandon Belt was hit in the hand with a pitch from Dodgers starter Paul Maholm leading off the top of the second inning on Friday night. Belt stayed in to run the bases, but did not take his position in the bottom half of the inning. Instead, Joaquin Arias took his spot at first base while Belt was attended to in the clubhouse.
Bad news for the Giants: CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that Belt has a broken thumb and will “undoubtedly” go on the disabled list for the first time in his career. Baggarly adds that an easy short-term roster solution would involve Belt going on the DL and Matt Cain coming off of it, but the Giants will want to address their first base situation regardless, which could mean Travis Ishikawa could come up from Triple-A Fresno.
Belt entered the game as one of the Giants’ most productive hitters, slashing .264/.312/.504 with nine home runs and 18 RBI.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The plot thickens. And becomes creamier. And is spread nicely between some two thin, chocolate cakes.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
It’s a bit early for this, of course.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Could one or both of them be gone before the 2015 season begins?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Afterwards, the pitching machine talked about wanting to work on his offspeed stuff because all big league hitters can turn on a fastball.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
An addendum to yesterday’s post.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
The AL it’s clear cut because there is a monster candidate. In the NL it’s because one guys is the least bad of many bad options.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Commandment Number One of being a professional athlete: don’t let anyone know you’re not a fan of your team’s city.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Which, in all likelihood, will be his last start for the Cardinals this year.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT
A big housing unit for the Big Unit.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
And an ice cream sandwich — used for taunting purposes — was involved.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:58 AM EDT
Yet another protested game in a week full of protests. This one isn’t going anywhere, though.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
Herrera, who was acquired from the Pirates in the Marlon Byrd deal last August, was batting .340/.406/.560 with 10 homers and 48 RBI over 61 games in Double-A this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Outman had a 3.28 ERA and 24/16 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings with the Indians this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Every time Alex Gordon steps to the plate at Kauffman Stadium these days, fans chant, “M-V-P, M-V-P,” which is fascinating on so many levels.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The expectation is that Castillo will get some major league experience in September.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Gomes suffered the concussion last Thursday when he was hit in the catcher’s mask by a deflected ball.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The struggling Wright hasn’t played since leaving Sunday’s game with neck spasms.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Nolan Reimold has been claimed off waivers for the second time in a month, going from the Orioles to the Blue Jays and now to the Diamondbacks.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
This is just sad.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 41
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 214
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (214)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)