May 9, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Last September, Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez was part of a big kerfluffle with the Braves after hitting a first-inning solo home run off of Paul Maholm. Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson yelled at Gomez as he rounded the bases, and McCann blocked Gomez’s path to home plate while yelling all kinds of obscenities. Shortly thereafter, the benches cleared and Gomez was public enemy number one thereafter.
McCann signed a five-year, $85 million deal with the Yankees during the off-season but just because he switched leagues doesn’t mean he’d have the luxury of avoiding Gomez. With the Yankees in Milwaukee for a three-game set, McCann and Gomez have finally settled their differences, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy:
Carlos Gomez & Brian McCann just met on the field, hugged it out. No animosity from last year’s confrontation, Gomez said.
— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) May 9, 2014
And from WFAN’s Sweeny Murti:
Asked Brian McCann this week if he thought Carlos Gomez incident was behind them, he said “100 percent…I respect him.”
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) May 9, 2014
It remains to be seen how Gerrit Cole will handle his next interaction with Gomez.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)