May 9, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Last September, Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez was part of a big kerfluffle with the Braves after hitting a first-inning solo home run off of Paul Maholm. Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson yelled at Gomez as he rounded the bases, and McCann blocked Gomez’s path to home plate while yelling all kinds of obscenities. Shortly thereafter, the benches cleared and Gomez was public enemy number one thereafter.
McCann signed a five-year, $85 million deal with the Yankees during the off-season but just because he switched leagues doesn’t mean he’d have the luxury of avoiding Gomez. With the Yankees in Milwaukee for a three-game set, McCann and Gomez have finally settled their differences, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy:
Carlos Gomez & Brian McCann just met on the field, hugged it out. No animosity from last year’s confrontation, Gomez said.
— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) May 9, 2014
And from WFAN’s Sweeny Murti:
Asked Brian McCann this week if he thought Carlos Gomez incident was behind them, he said “100 percent…I respect him.”
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) May 9, 2014
It remains to be seen how Gerrit Cole will handle his next interaction with Gomez.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)