May 9, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Last September, Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez was part of a big kerfluffle with the Braves after hitting a first-inning solo home run off of Paul Maholm. Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson yelled at Gomez as he rounded the bases, and McCann blocked Gomez’s path to home plate while yelling all kinds of obscenities. Shortly thereafter, the benches cleared and Gomez was public enemy number one thereafter.
McCann signed a five-year, $85 million deal with the Yankees during the off-season but just because he switched leagues doesn’t mean he’d have the luxury of avoiding Gomez. With the Yankees in Milwaukee for a three-game set, McCann and Gomez have finally settled their differences, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy:
Carlos Gomez & Brian McCann just met on the field, hugged it out. No animosity from last year’s confrontation, Gomez said.
— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) May 9, 2014
And from WFAN’s Sweeny Murti:
Asked Brian McCann this week if he thought Carlos Gomez incident was behind them, he said “100 percent…I respect him.”
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) May 9, 2014
It remains to be seen how Gerrit Cole will handle his next interaction with Gomez.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 58
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)