May 9, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Last September, Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez was part of a big kerfluffle with the Braves after hitting a first-inning solo home run off of Paul Maholm. Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson yelled at Gomez as he rounded the bases, and McCann blocked Gomez’s path to home plate while yelling all kinds of obscenities. Shortly thereafter, the benches cleared and Gomez was public enemy number one thereafter.
McCann signed a five-year, $85 million deal with the Yankees during the off-season but just because he switched leagues doesn’t mean he’d have the luxury of avoiding Gomez. With the Yankees in Milwaukee for a three-game set, McCann and Gomez have finally settled their differences, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy:
Carlos Gomez & Brian McCann just met on the field, hugged it out. No animosity from last year’s confrontation, Gomez said.
— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) May 9, 2014
And from WFAN’s Sweeny Murti:
Asked Brian McCann this week if he thought Carlos Gomez incident was behind them, he said “100 percent…I respect him.”
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) May 9, 2014
It remains to be seen how Gerrit Cole will handle his next interaction with Gomez.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)