May 9, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
While transactions involving utlilitymen aren’t the biggest deal, Freddy Galvis is a more famous than usual utilityman. And, given the age of the Phillies, he’s more important for spelling/pinch running purposes than a lot of other teams’ bench dudes might be. But he has started the season as a walking, talking tire fire, so the Phillies optioned utilityman Freddy Galvis to Triple-A Lehigh Valley after last night’s game.
Galvis just two hits over his first 42 at-bats this season and that just does’t play, even on the bench. The Phillies have not announced a corresponding move yet, but Reid Brignac has been raking down at Lehigh Valley, so my guess is that he gets the call.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)