May 9, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
While transactions involving utlilitymen aren’t the biggest deal, Freddy Galvis is a more famous than usual utilityman. And, given the age of the Phillies, he’s more important for spelling/pinch running purposes than a lot of other teams’ bench dudes might be. But he has started the season as a walking, talking tire fire, so the Phillies optioned utilityman Freddy Galvis to Triple-A Lehigh Valley after last night’s game.
Galvis just two hits over his first 42 at-bats this season and that just does’t play, even on the bench. The Phillies have not announced a corresponding move yet, but Reid Brignac has been raking down at Lehigh Valley, so my guess is that he gets the call.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)