May 9, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
While transactions involving utlilitymen aren’t the biggest deal, Freddy Galvis is a more famous than usual utilityman. And, given the age of the Phillies, he’s more important for spelling/pinch running purposes than a lot of other teams’ bench dudes might be. But he has started the season as a walking, talking tire fire, so the Phillies optioned utilityman Freddy Galvis to Triple-A Lehigh Valley after last night’s game.
Galvis just two hits over his first 42 at-bats this season and that just does’t play, even on the bench. The Phillies have not announced a corresponding move yet, but Reid Brignac has been raking down at Lehigh Valley, so my guess is that he gets the call.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)