May 9, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
While transactions involving utlilitymen aren’t the biggest deal, Freddy Galvis is a more famous than usual utilityman. And, given the age of the Phillies, he’s more important for spelling/pinch running purposes than a lot of other teams’ bench dudes might be. But he has started the season as a walking, talking tire fire, so the Phillies optioned utilityman Freddy Galvis to Triple-A Lehigh Valley after last night’s game.
Galvis just two hits over his first 42 at-bats this season and that just does’t play, even on the bench. The Phillies have not announced a corresponding move yet, but Reid Brignac has been raking down at Lehigh Valley, so my guess is that he gets the call.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 11
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)