May 9, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
Don’t even play: you’re not doing anything the weekend of August 16-17th and odds favor you either being in Boston, Massachusetts or being close to an airport that can put you there. And, if you’re reading this you (a) certainly love baseball; and (b) probably love sabermetrics and scouting porn.
As such, you should go to the Sabermetrics, Scouting and the Science of Baseball seminar that weekend. The proceeds of which benefit The Jimmy Fund. The playbill:
We have an incredible line-up of speakers for this year’s event, including World Series Champion Boston Red Sox General Manager Ben Cherington, Houston Astros General Manager Jeff Luhnow, Senior Baseball Analyst Tom Tippett (Red Sox), baseball physicist Alan Nathan, and SABR President Vince Gennaro. We will also feature top authors and sabermetricians from your favorite websites, such as Ben Baumer, Mitchel Lichtman (MGL), Baseball Prospectus (Analysts Dan Brooks and Harry Pavlidis) and Fangraphs (Editor/Author Dave Cameron and Analyst Matt Swartz). There will be a scouting panel, and talks on sports medicine, defensive evaluation, the role of statistics in the media… and more!
This is not just outsider baseball geekery. As evidenced by the speakers — and by the support it’s given by the Red Sox, Astros, Orioles, Royals, Mets, and Nationals — it’s a great look at what’s actually happening in front offices now.
If you’re inclined, go sign up for it. And go here for more information.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)