May 9, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
Don’t even play: you’re not doing anything the weekend of August 16-17th and odds favor you either being in Boston, Massachusetts or being close to an airport that can put you there. And, if you’re reading this you (a) certainly love baseball; and (b) probably love sabermetrics and scouting porn.
As such, you should go to the Sabermetrics, Scouting and the Science of Baseball seminar that weekend. The proceeds of which benefit The Jimmy Fund. The playbill:
We have an incredible line-up of speakers for this year’s event, including World Series Champion Boston Red Sox General Manager Ben Cherington, Houston Astros General Manager Jeff Luhnow, Senior Baseball Analyst Tom Tippett (Red Sox), baseball physicist Alan Nathan, and SABR President Vince Gennaro. We will also feature top authors and sabermetricians from your favorite websites, such as Ben Baumer, Mitchel Lichtman (MGL), Baseball Prospectus (Analysts Dan Brooks and Harry Pavlidis) and Fangraphs (Editor/Author Dave Cameron and Analyst Matt Swartz). There will be a scouting panel, and talks on sports medicine, defensive evaluation, the role of statistics in the media… and more!
This is not just outsider baseball geekery. As evidenced by the speakers — and by the support it’s given by the Red Sox, Astros, Orioles, Royals, Mets, and Nationals — it’s a great look at what’s actually happening in front offices now.
If you’re inclined, go sign up for it. And go here for more information.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15