May 9, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Don’t even play: you’re not doing anything the weekend of August 16-17th and odds favor you either being in Boston, Massachusetts or being close to an airport that can put you there. And, if you’re reading this you (a) certainly love baseball; and (b) probably love sabermetrics and scouting porn.
As such, you should go to the Sabermetrics, Scouting and the Science of Baseball seminar that weekend. The proceeds of which benefit The Jimmy Fund. The playbill:
We have an incredible line-up of speakers for this year’s event, including World Series Champion Boston Red Sox General Manager Ben Cherington, Houston Astros General Manager Jeff Luhnow, Senior Baseball Analyst Tom Tippett (Red Sox), baseball physicist Alan Nathan, and SABR President Vince Gennaro. We will also feature top authors and sabermetricians from your favorite websites, such as Ben Baumer, Mitchel Lichtman (MGL), Baseball Prospectus (Analysts Dan Brooks and Harry Pavlidis) and Fangraphs (Editor/Author Dave Cameron and Analyst Matt Swartz). There will be a scouting panel, and talks on sports medicine, defensive evaluation, the role of statistics in the media… and more!
This is not just outsider baseball geekery. As evidenced by the speakers — and by the support it’s given by the Red Sox, Astros, Orioles, Royals, Mets, and Nationals — it’s a great look at what’s actually happening in front offices now.
If you’re inclined, go sign up for it. And go here for more information.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)