May 10, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Derek Jeter is making his farewell tour around the majors this season and one fan wanted to make sure he got his chance to say goodbye last night. It didn’t go so well.
In the bottom of the sixth inning of last night’s Yankees-Brewers game at Miller Park in Milwaukee, a young male fan jumped out of the seats behind the third base dugout and onto the field to where Jeter was standing at shortstop. The fan, who was wearing a Ryan Braun jersey, requested a hug from the Yankee Captain and was quickly taken down by security.
Jeter told Brandon Kuty of NJ.com that he wasn’t alarmed by the fan and even warned him that he was going to get in trouble. They don’t call him classy for nothing, folks.
“He was saying he wanted a hug,” the Yankees’ captain said. “I was thinking, I wasn’t gonna hug him. That was pretty much it.”
Jeter said teammates were asking if he was scared.
“If you saw his face, he wasn’t coming out there with anger,” Jeter said. “You know what I mean? So, no, I wasn’t scared.”
Jeter just stood there for a moment before walking away, seeing the rush of security guards, dressed in red coats and khaki pants.
“I told him,” Jeter said. “I said, ‘You’re going to get in trouble.’ Then he repeated that he wanted a hug. And then I said, ‘Look out.'”
I can only assume this is what happens when your friend tells you that it’s “Hug a Derek Jeter Night” at the stadium.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)