May 10, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Derek Jeter is making his farewell tour around the majors this season and one fan wanted to make sure he got his chance to say goodbye last night. It didn’t go so well.
In the bottom of the sixth inning of last night’s Yankees-Brewers game at Miller Park in Milwaukee, a young male fan jumped out of the seats behind the third base dugout and onto the field to where Jeter was standing at shortstop. The fan, who was wearing a Ryan Braun jersey, requested a hug from the Yankee Captain and was quickly taken down by security.
Jeter told Brandon Kuty of NJ.com that he wasn’t alarmed by the fan and even warned him that he was going to get in trouble. They don’t call him classy for nothing, folks.
“He was saying he wanted a hug,” the Yankees’ captain said. “I was thinking, I wasn’t gonna hug him. That was pretty much it.”
Jeter said teammates were asking if he was scared.
“If you saw his face, he wasn’t coming out there with anger,” Jeter said. “You know what I mean? So, no, I wasn’t scared.”
Jeter just stood there for a moment before walking away, seeing the rush of security guards, dressed in red coats and khaki pants.
“I told him,” Jeter said. “I said, ‘You’re going to get in trouble.’ Then he repeated that he wanted a hug. And then I said, ‘Look out.'”
I can only assume this is what happens when your friend tells you that it’s “Hug a Derek Jeter Night” at the stadium.
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 25
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 41
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)