May 10, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Derek Jeter is making his farewell tour around the majors this season and one fan wanted to make sure he got his chance to say goodbye last night. It didn’t go so well.
In the bottom of the sixth inning of last night’s Yankees-Brewers game at Miller Park in Milwaukee, a young male fan jumped out of the seats behind the third base dugout and onto the field to where Jeter was standing at shortstop. The fan, who was wearing a Ryan Braun jersey, requested a hug from the Yankee Captain and was quickly taken down by security.
Jeter told Brandon Kuty of NJ.com that he wasn’t alarmed by the fan and even warned him that he was going to get in trouble. They don’t call him classy for nothing, folks.
“He was saying he wanted a hug,” the Yankees’ captain said. “I was thinking, I wasn’t gonna hug him. That was pretty much it.”
Jeter said teammates were asking if he was scared.
“If you saw his face, he wasn’t coming out there with anger,” Jeter said. “You know what I mean? So, no, I wasn’t scared.”
Jeter just stood there for a moment before walking away, seeing the rush of security guards, dressed in red coats and khaki pants.
“I told him,” Jeter said. “I said, ‘You’re going to get in trouble.’ Then he repeated that he wanted a hug. And then I said, ‘Look out.'”
I can only assume this is what happens when your friend tells you that it’s “Hug a Derek Jeter Night” at the stadium.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)