May 10, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
We learned earlier this week that East Carolina University right-hander Jeff Hoffman will undergo Tommy John surgery and now another potential top-10 pick will join him.
According to Aaron Fitt of Baseball America, UNLV pitcher Erick Fedde also needs Tommy John surgery. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 180 pounds, the lanky right-hander posted a 1.76 ERA and 82/21 K/BB ratio over 77 innings this spring. Fitt writes that Fedde has attracted attention from MLB teams due to “a fastball that has reached 97, a quality slider and changeup, a tall, athletic frame and an advanced ability to pound the strike zone.”
Similar to the Hoffman situation, just because Fedde needs Tommy John surgery doesn’t mean that he will not be selected in the early rounds. Teams with multiple early picks (and a larger amount of draft pool money) might be more willing to take the gamble. They will be interesting names to watch in next month’s First-Year Player Draft.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11