May 10, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Brandon Belt suffered a broken left thumb when he was hit in the hand by a pitch from Dodgers left-hander Paul Maholm last night and it looks like the Giants will have to get by without him until late June.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy estimated after last night’s game that Belt will likely miss around six weeks. However, there should be more clarity on a timetable after he is examined today by hand specialist Dr. Tim McAdams.
As for what the Giants will do at first base in the meantime, Bochy mentioned the possibility of a rotation featuring Buster Posey, Michael Morse and Hector Sanchez. Travis Ishikawa, currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger, Adam Duvall, and Tyler Colvin are among the alternatives in the minors.
Belt, 26, is batting .264/.317/.504 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 35 games this season.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)