May 10, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Brandon Belt suffered a broken left thumb when he was hit in the hand by a pitch from Dodgers left-hander Paul Maholm last night and it looks like the Giants will have to get by without him until late June.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy estimated after last night’s game that Belt will likely miss around six weeks. However, there should be more clarity on a timetable after he is examined today by hand specialist Dr. Tim McAdams.
As for what the Giants will do at first base in the meantime, Bochy mentioned the possibility of a rotation featuring Buster Posey, Michael Morse and Hector Sanchez. Travis Ishikawa, currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger, Adam Duvall, and Tyler Colvin are among the alternatives in the minors.
Belt, 26, is batting .264/.317/.504 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 35 games this season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)