May 10, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Brandon Belt suffered a broken left thumb when he was hit in the hand by a pitch from Dodgers left-hander Paul Maholm last night and it looks like the Giants will have to get by without him until late June.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy estimated after last night’s game that Belt will likely miss around six weeks. However, there should be more clarity on a timetable after he is examined today by hand specialist Dr. Tim McAdams.
As for what the Giants will do at first base in the meantime, Bochy mentioned the possibility of a rotation featuring Buster Posey, Michael Morse and Hector Sanchez. Travis Ishikawa, currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger, Adam Duvall, and Tyler Colvin are among the alternatives in the minors.
Belt, 26, is batting .264/.317/.504 with nine home runs and 18 RBI in 35 games this season.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 52
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)