May 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
Great news here.
As you may recall, Astros prospect Delino DeShields, Jr. suffered a fractured cheekbone when he was hit in the face by a pitch on April 18 during a game with Double-A Corpus Christi. Well, he made his return to action last night. And it was pretty impressive.
DeShields, who ended up missing three weeks as a result of the fracture, homered in each of his first two-bats. He told Josh Jackson of MiLB.com after the game that he didn’t have any fear about getting back in the batter’s box.
“I was really relaxed. A lot of people would tell you that after getting hit in the face, they’d be nervous about getting in the box again. Not me. I was like, ‘You and me, let’s go.’”
While the injury was quite scary looking, things could have been much worse and DeShields has remained unbelievably optimistic during this entire process. It’s great to see him back this quickly and here’s hoping this will prove to be a minor speed bump on the way to a productive career.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 35
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)