May 10, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Braves second baseman Dan Uggla was not in the lineup for Friday night’s game against Cubs right-handed starter Jason Hammel. It was the fifth time in 10 games that manager Fredi Gonzalez had someone else’s name at second base instead of Uggla’s.
Uggla is coming off of an ugly 2013 campaign in which he hit .179 with a .671 OPS. Somehow, he’s been worse as we wrap up the first full week of May. Uggla is slashing an awful .184/.241/.272 with two home runs and 10 RBI. Gonzalez hasn’t spoken with Uggla yet, but plans to discuss his second baseman’s role on the team soon. Via Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
Gonzalez said he does plan to sit down with Uggla soon and address the way he’s using him.
“I’ve not spoken to him about it at all, but I think we’ll talk soon,” Gonzalez said. “That’s the way I am; I like to tell guys. But I have not sat down with him.”
As Rogers notes in her article, second base prospect Tommy La Stella is hitting very well at Triple-A Gwinnett, batting .300 with a .372 on-base percentage. If Uggla can’t turn things around, the Braves may hand the second base job over to La Stella, and the Braves would have a very expensive bench player. Uggla is owed $13 million each of the 2014 and ’15 seasons, and it’s increasingly unlikely a team would take on even a cent of his remaining salary to acquire him.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
An MRI taken Tuesday ruled out anything serious, but Trout does have a bit of wrist inflammation.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
The very latest on the Cole Hamels trade front …
Jul 29, 2015, 5:21 PM EDT
The trade deadline be crazy.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Bradley gets another chance in Boston.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
They’re in fourth place and their best player isn’t coming back for a month. Makes all sorts of sense.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Some real old school mentality being demonstrated there.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:54 PM EDT
It was Verlander’s second straight eight inning, one-run performance.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Capuano failed to make it out of the first inning in Tuesday’s start.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
At least to the extent you can have a bidding “war” over a two-month rental.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Miami is 42-58.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Two homers, two games in a row and five in his last four games.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He won’t be closing this time.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
And why on Earth did Bobby Cox wear a cup for every game? What was he possibly expecting?
Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Saves = money for relief pitchers and Storen is gonna get a lot fewer saves now.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Reached base five times too.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT
Your mileage may vary, but for my money the ugliest game of the year happened last night.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
Alvarez served as the Marlins’ Opening Day starter …
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 20
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 56
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)