May 10, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The struggling John Axford is officially off of closer’s duty for the Indians, per Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer. Cody Allen, Bryan Shaw, Scott Atchison, and Marc Rzepczynski will share the role as closer, Hoynes adds.
Axford, signed to a one-year, $4.5 million deal in December, has posted a 4.91 ERA. The struggles have been prominent recently, as the right-hander has allowed runs in three out of his last four appearances. While Axford has struck out 15 batters in 14 2/3 innings, he has also walked 13 and allowed three home runs. MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that manager Terry Francona hopes to get Axford back into the ninth inning once he straightens out.
Axford, 31, struggled in 2012 and ’13 with the Brewers, prompting a late-August trade to the Cardinals last season, where he appeared to find himself, posting a 1.74 ERA in 10 1/3 innings through the end of the season. Unfortunately, it appears to have been a fluke.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)