May 10, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Joe Mauer has returned to the Twins’ lineup this afternoon against the Tigers after missing five straight games with lower back spasms. He’ll serve as the designated hitter and hit third against Max Scherzer.
Mauer hasn’t played since leaving a game last Sunday against the Orioles. While he described the back spasms as “pretty brutal,” he managed to avoid a stint on the disabled list. The Twins will ease him back into things today, but a return to first base shouldn’t be far off if he feels good.
Mauer was really heating up prior to the back issue, hitting .394 (13-for-33) with one home run, five RBI, and five walks over his last nine games. The 31-year-old owns a .296/.393/.374 batting line so far this season.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)