May 10, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Giants left-hander Madison Bumgarner delivered a gem last night against the Dodgers, tossing eight innings of one-run ball as part of a 3-1 victory. The lone run scored on a solo home run by Yasiel Puig in the bottom of the sixth inning. And the blast nearly caused a benches-clearing incident.
As you’ll see in the video here, Bumgarner was apparently offended by Puig’s bat flip and let him know about it as he came down the third base line. Puig slowed down his trot to bark back at Bumgarner, but the umpires prevented things from escalating any further.
Via Chris Haft of MLB.com, Bumgarner played coy about the situation after the game:
“I was congratulating him. It was a really good hit. It was impressive. Again, I don’t know why everybody got so mad. It escalated quickly for no reason. I think he said, ‘Thank you.’ I’m not sure if he did. I don’t speak Spanish very well.”
Via Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly felt that Bumgarner overreacted:
“He hit it, flipped it and ran. I’m not sure what he’s upset about. You see guys do stuff every day. The double standard is always annoying. Obviously, Yasiel is a little bit of a lightning rod. He plays hard. I didn’t think he did anything wrong.”
Meh. On a scale of 1-to-Puig, this bat flip was about a three. Far from his best work. Maybe Bumgarner was mad that he didn’t flip it with more enthusiasm? That’s gotta be it. I was disappointed too.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)