May 10, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
Giants left-hander Madison Bumgarner delivered a gem last night against the Dodgers, tossing eight innings of one-run ball as part of a 3-1 victory. The lone run scored on a solo home run by Yasiel Puig in the bottom of the sixth inning. And the blast nearly caused a benches-clearing incident.
As you’ll see in the video here, Bumgarner was apparently offended by Puig’s bat flip and let him know about it as he came down the third base line. Puig slowed down his trot to bark back at Bumgarner, but the umpires prevented things from escalating any further.
Via Chris Haft of MLB.com, Bumgarner played coy about the situation after the game:
“I was congratulating him. It was a really good hit. It was impressive. Again, I don’t know why everybody got so mad. It escalated quickly for no reason. I think he said, ‘Thank you.’ I’m not sure if he did. I don’t speak Spanish very well.”
Via Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly felt that Bumgarner overreacted:
“He hit it, flipped it and ran. I’m not sure what he’s upset about. You see guys do stuff every day. The double standard is always annoying. Obviously, Yasiel is a little bit of a lightning rod. He plays hard. I didn’t think he did anything wrong.”
Meh. On a scale of 1-to-Puig, this bat flip was about a three. Far from his best work. Maybe Bumgarner was mad that he didn’t flip it with more enthusiasm? That’s gotta be it. I was disappointed too.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Axford had a 3.92 ERA and 63/36 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for the Indians last season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
At least one columnist thinks this is a big problem. Is it?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times mounts an in-depth study of the Peanuts’ Gang’s manager.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EST
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Though pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is taking over for Chris Sale, he likely isn’t pitching for an Opening Day role with the White Sox.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes could see himself wearing a Tigers uniform for many years.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Bryce Harper wants to do more to help out on offense for the Nationals.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Yu Darvish was colorful in responding to critics who think he quit on the Rangers last year due to an elbow injury.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:05 PM EST
The Phillies kicked off the spring with a loss to a college team.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:24 PM EST
There’s been some talk that Angels right-hander Garrett Richards might be ready for the beginning of the 2015 regular season despite tearing the patellar tendon in his left knee last August. But manager Mike Scioscia put that to rest Sunday in camp …
Mar 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro provides the visual evidence …
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
From the official Twitter account of the Los Angeles Dodgers …
Mar 1, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
Minoso, a native of Cuba, batted .298/.389/.459 with 1,963 hits, 186 home runs, and 1,023 RBI in parts of 17 major league seasons split between the Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, and Washington Senators.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Some highlights here from Rob Manfred’s sit-down Saturday at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference …
Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
The Padres signed outfielder Tyson Gillies to a minor league deal, perhaps hopeful he could turn his fortunes around with a new organization.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
The Diamondbacks want Yasmany Tomas to get as many at-bats as possible during spring training, so he’ll be starting at both third base and in the outfield.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:35 PM EST
It’s odd to hear Jimmy Rollins say nice things about the Mets.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EST
The Blue Jays brought in Dayan Viciedo to hold the fort until Michael Saunders returns from his knee injury.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:25 PM EST
Ruben Tejada has been something of a lightning rod, and he recently received criticism from a former teammate and mentor.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Josh Hamilton’s punishment for using a drug of abuse may end up not being much of a punishment at all.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)