May 10, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Amid a flurry of roster moves, the Giants have activated right-hander Matt Cain from the disabled list to start this afternoon against the Dodgers. Meanwhile, Brandon Belt has been placed on the disabled list with a broken left thumb while Tyler Colvin has been called up from the minors and George Kontos has been optioned to Triple-A Fresno.
Cain hasn’t pitched since April 23 due to a cut on his right index finger which he suffered while trying to cut “fancy triangles” in a sandwich. The Giants placed him on the disabled list earlier this week after he halted a throwing session out of fear that the wound was going to reopen, but he’s apparently back to 100 percent.
Colvin will give the Giants another open for first base or the outfield in the wake of the Belt injury. The 28-year-old was hitting .267/.315/.408 with two home runs and 16 RBI through 35 games in Triple-A.
The Giants moved Marco Scutaro to the 60-day disabled list to clear a spot for Colvin on the 40-man roster. He remains sidelined with a lower back strain.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 18
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (100)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)