May 10, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
Amid a flurry of roster moves, the Giants have activated right-hander Matt Cain from the disabled list to start this afternoon against the Dodgers. Meanwhile, Brandon Belt has been placed on the disabled list with a broken left thumb while Tyler Colvin has been called up from the minors and George Kontos has been optioned to Triple-A Fresno.
Cain hasn’t pitched since April 23 due to a cut on his right index finger which he suffered while trying to cut “fancy triangles” in a sandwich. The Giants placed him on the disabled list earlier this week after he halted a throwing session out of fear that the wound was going to reopen, but he’s apparently back to 100 percent.
Colvin will give the Giants another open for first base or the outfield in the wake of the Belt injury. The 28-year-old was hitting .267/.315/.408 with two home runs and 16 RBI through 35 games in Triple-A.
The Giants moved Marco Scutaro to the 60-day disabled list to clear a spot for Colvin on the 40-man roster. He remains sidelined with a lower back strain.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)