May 10, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Amid a flurry of roster moves, the Giants have activated right-hander Matt Cain from the disabled list to start this afternoon against the Dodgers. Meanwhile, Brandon Belt has been placed on the disabled list with a broken left thumb while Tyler Colvin has been called up from the minors and George Kontos has been optioned to Triple-A Fresno.
Cain hasn’t pitched since April 23 due to a cut on his right index finger which he suffered while trying to cut “fancy triangles” in a sandwich. The Giants placed him on the disabled list earlier this week after he halted a throwing session out of fear that the wound was going to reopen, but he’s apparently back to 100 percent.
Colvin will give the Giants another open for first base or the outfield in the wake of the Belt injury. The 28-year-old was hitting .267/.315/.408 with two home runs and 16 RBI through 35 games in Triple-A.
The Giants moved Marco Scutaro to the 60-day disabled list to clear a spot for Colvin on the 40-man roster. He remains sidelined with a lower back strain.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
The future is now in Chicago.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres right-hander Ian Kennedy landed on the disabled list after exiting his season debut on April 9 with a mild left hamstring strain, but he’s on track to return Saturday against the Dodgers.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Things are quickly going from bad to worse for the Brewers.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
This from Reds manager Bryan Price is not a good look at all.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:49 PM EDT
Tonight’s Cubs-Pirates game was delayed for 23 minutes after a woman was hit in the back of the head by a foul ball in the top of the second inning.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
The Rockies are calling him day-to-day.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Ben Zobrist left Sunday’s game due to left knee soreness and he’s now slated to miss at least another couple of days after receiving a cortisone shot.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander had to cut a simulated game short last Wednesday and he’s currently in shutdown mode due to continued soreness in his throwing arm.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
The Mets won their eighth straight game Sunday against the Marlins to improve to 10-3 on the year, but it came as a cost, as catcher Travis d’Arnaud and left-handed reliever Jerry Blevins were forced to leave the game due to injuries. Today we learned a little bit more about how long they’ll be sidelined.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s been a facility in flux since the Dodgers left in 2008, but it has a new life under new management.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
It was bad enough that he needed stitches.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
Last season he threw 184 innings with a 4.11 ERA and 139/67 K/BB ratio.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
And he actually owns up to taking stuff. None of that “I have no idea how that got in my system” rebop from him.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
People from El Paso are still mad about that. Oh well.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Allen Craig replaced him in left field against the Orioles.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Beachy is 28 years old with a 3.23 ERA and 275 strikeouts in 268 career innings.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
The greatest trick baseball columnists ever pulled was convincing the world that the way they frame a topic is the only way to approach the topic.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“You can’t do anything to fix it.”
Apr 20, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
His health is a huge key to the Angels’ success this season.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
If you hate in-game interviews of managers, just wait for in-game interviews of players.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)