May 10, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Mets starter Jenrry Mejia, who held the Phillies to two runs in 4 2/3 innings in Friday night’s start, may find himself in the bullpen soon, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. Prior to the start, Mejia was coming off of a couple of tough outings against the Marlins and Rockies in which he allowed a combined 14 runs in 10 innings.
Some believe Mejia profiles better as a reliever given his arsenal and the fact that his effectiveness significantly drops off his third time through the batting order. Over his career, he has held opponents to a .641 OPS the first time he faces them in a game, .771 the second time, and .953 the third time, per Baseball Reference.
If Mejia moves to the bullpen, the Mets could slide Daisuke Matsuzaka into the rotation. The Mets also plan to call up pitching prospect Rafael Montero soon to contribute out of the bullpen. Their plan is to use him in relief for a bit, then send him back down to Triple-A Las Vegas to stretch out as a starter, and then later call him back up to pitch out of the rotation.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)