May 10, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The Giants received some unfortunate news earlier today when they learned that first baseman Brandon Belt would miss six weeks with a broken thumb. Belt was hit on the thumb by a Paul Maholm offering in Friday night’s game against the Dodgers.
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants intend to use Michael Morse as their everyday first baseman while Belt is on the disabled list. The club didn’t have too many attractive internal options to fill the void. Travis Ishikawa joined the club on a minor league deal towards the end of April, but he is currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger and doesn’t provide the kind of power one expects from a first baseman.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)