May 10, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The Giants received some unfortunate news earlier today when they learned that first baseman Brandon Belt would miss six weeks with a broken thumb. Belt was hit on the thumb by a Paul Maholm offering in Friday night’s game against the Dodgers.
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants intend to use Michael Morse as their everyday first baseman while Belt is on the disabled list. The club didn’t have too many attractive internal options to fill the void. Travis Ishikawa joined the club on a minor league deal towards the end of April, but he is currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger and doesn’t provide the kind of power one expects from a first baseman.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (92)