May 10, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The Giants received some unfortunate news earlier today when they learned that first baseman Brandon Belt would miss six weeks with a broken thumb. Belt was hit on the thumb by a Paul Maholm offering in Friday night’s game against the Dodgers.
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants intend to use Michael Morse as their everyday first baseman while Belt is on the disabled list. The club didn’t have too many attractive internal options to fill the void. Travis Ishikawa joined the club on a minor league deal towards the end of April, but he is currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger and doesn’t provide the kind of power one expects from a first baseman.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)