May 10, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The Giants received some unfortunate news earlier today when they learned that first baseman Brandon Belt would miss six weeks with a broken thumb. Belt was hit on the thumb by a Paul Maholm offering in Friday night’s game against the Dodgers.
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants intend to use Michael Morse as their everyday first baseman while Belt is on the disabled list. The club didn’t have too many attractive internal options to fill the void. Travis Ishikawa joined the club on a minor league deal towards the end of April, but he is currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger and doesn’t provide the kind of power one expects from a first baseman.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)