May 10, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The Giants received some unfortunate news earlier today when they learned that first baseman Brandon Belt would miss six weeks with a broken thumb. Belt was hit on the thumb by a Paul Maholm offering in Friday night’s game against the Dodgers.
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants intend to use Michael Morse as their everyday first baseman while Belt is on the disabled list. The club didn’t have too many attractive internal options to fill the void. Travis Ishikawa joined the club on a minor league deal towards the end of April, but he is currently on the Triple-A disabled list with a jammed finger and doesn’t provide the kind of power one expects from a first baseman.
- Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles 23
- Video: Lloyd McClendon got ejected, threw another tantrum 28
- Albert Pujols ties Jimmie Foxx on the all-time home run list 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 79
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 15
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 10
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (186)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (99)