May 10, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
The Padres entered Friday’s action ranked last in the National League in batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, and runs scored. So of course they beat up on Marlins’ ace Jose Fernandez.
Fernandez was tagged for six runs (five earned) in five innings last night as the Marlins fell to the Padres by the score of 10-1 at PETCO Park in San Diego. Jedd Gyorko did the heavy lifting for the Padres’ offense, swatting a two-run homer off Fernandez in the second inning and then a grand slam in a six-run sixth inning.
Tyson Ross earned the win after striking out eight batters over seven innings of one-run ball. After a strong showing during the second half last year, the 27-year-old right-hander owns a 3.02 ERA and 45/18 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings across his first eight starts this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 3, Mets 2 (11 innings)
Cubs 2, Braves 3 (10 innings)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)