May 10, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
The Padres entered Friday’s action ranked last in the National League in batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, and runs scored. So of course they beat up on Marlins’ ace Jose Fernandez.
Fernandez was tagged for six runs (five earned) in five innings last night as the Marlins fell to the Padres by the score of 10-1 at PETCO Park in San Diego. Jedd Gyorko did the heavy lifting for the Padres’ offense, swatting a two-run homer off Fernandez in the second inning and then a grand slam in a six-run sixth inning.
Tyson Ross earned the win after striking out eight batters over seven innings of one-run ball. After a strong showing during the second half last year, the 27-year-old right-hander owns a 3.02 ERA and 45/18 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings across his first eight starts this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 3, Mets 2 (11 innings)
Cubs 2, Braves 3 (10 innings)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)