May 10, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
The Padres entered Friday’s action ranked last in the National League in batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, and runs scored. So of course they beat up on Marlins’ ace Jose Fernandez.
Fernandez was tagged for six runs (five earned) in five innings last night as the Marlins fell to the Padres by the score of 10-1 at PETCO Park in San Diego. Jedd Gyorko did the heavy lifting for the Padres’ offense, swatting a two-run homer off Fernandez in the second inning and then a grand slam in a six-run sixth inning.
Tyson Ross earned the win after striking out eight batters over seven innings of one-run ball. After a strong showing during the second half last year, the 27-year-old right-hander owns a 3.02 ERA and 45/18 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings across his first eight starts this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 3, Mets 2 (11 innings)
Cubs 2, Braves 3 (10 innings)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)