May 10, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
The Padres entered Friday’s action ranked last in the National League in batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, and runs scored. So of course they beat up on Marlins’ ace Jose Fernandez.
Fernandez was tagged for six runs (five earned) in five innings last night as the Marlins fell to the Padres by the score of 10-1 at PETCO Park in San Diego. Jedd Gyorko did the heavy lifting for the Padres’ offense, swatting a two-run homer off Fernandez in the second inning and then a grand slam in a six-run sixth inning.
Tyson Ross earned the win after striking out eight batters over seven innings of one-run ball. After a strong showing during the second half last year, the 27-year-old right-hander owns a 3.02 ERA and 45/18 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings across his first eight starts this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 3, Mets 2 (11 innings)
Cubs 2, Braves 3 (10 innings)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 4
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)