May 10, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
The Padres entered Friday’s action ranked last in the National League in batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, and runs scored. So of course they beat up on Marlins’ ace Jose Fernandez.
Fernandez was tagged for six runs (five earned) in five innings last night as the Marlins fell to the Padres by the score of 10-1 at PETCO Park in San Diego. Jedd Gyorko did the heavy lifting for the Padres’ offense, swatting a two-run homer off Fernandez in the second inning and then a grand slam in a six-run sixth inning.
Tyson Ross earned the win after striking out eight batters over seven innings of one-run ball. After a strong showing during the second half last year, the 27-year-old right-hander owns a 3.02 ERA and 45/18 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings across his first eight starts this season.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 3, Mets 2 (11 innings)
Cubs 2, Braves 3 (10 innings)
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)