May 11, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
Nationals manager Matt Williams announced late Saturday night that first baseman Adam LaRoche has been placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained quadriceps muscle. This according to Adam Kilgore at the Washington Post.
LaRoche began experiencing discomfort in his quad over two weeks ago. He finally underwent an MRI on Saturday after experiencing a flare-up on Friday and the exam revealed the muscle strain. LaRoche, who has a team-best .319/.421/.504 batting line with five home runs and 21 RBI in 32 games this year, will probably be sidelined until the final week of May.
“It sucks not being able to go out there every night and battle with the guys,” LaRoche told the Post on Saturday. “The one thing I do feel pretty good about is that I gave it every opportunity to try to go out and play through it and see if this thing would go away. The last couple days have proven that it’s not going to happen.”
The Nationals enter Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics with a 19-17 record.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)