May 11, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
From Ben Nicholson-Smith of Canada’s Sportsnet.ca comes word that the Blue Jays have activated closer Casey Janssen off the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday’s afternoon tilt against the Angels.
Infielder Chris Getz was designated for assignment in a corresponding move to clear out a roster spot.
Janssen wound up missing the first six weeks of the 2014 season because of an abdominal strain that he suffered near the end of spring training. Sergio Santos was the Blue Jays’ fill-in closer for all of April but got booted from that role eight days ago.
Janssen, one of the more underrated relief pitchers in baseball, owns an outstanding 2.46 ERA (172 ERA+), 0.977 WHIP, and 170/38 K/BB ratio in 172 innings since the beginning of the 2011 season.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)