May 11, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
From Ben Nicholson-Smith of Canada’s Sportsnet.ca comes word that the Blue Jays have activated closer Casey Janssen off the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday’s afternoon tilt against the Angels.
Infielder Chris Getz was designated for assignment in a corresponding move to clear out a roster spot.
Janssen wound up missing the first six weeks of the 2014 season because of an abdominal strain that he suffered near the end of spring training. Sergio Santos was the Blue Jays’ fill-in closer for all of April but got booted from that role eight days ago.
Janssen, one of the more underrated relief pitchers in baseball, owns an outstanding 2.46 ERA (172 ERA+), 0.977 WHIP, and 170/38 K/BB ratio in 172 innings since the beginning of the 2011 season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)