May 11, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia complained of discomfort in his landing (right) knee after allowing eight hits — including three home runs — over 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Brewers on Saturday at Miller Park, so he was sent for an MRI and then placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning after the exam results showed inflammation and fluid buildup.
The Yankees hope Sabathia will be ready to return as soon as his 15 days are up. Alfredo Aceves is expected to take his rotation spot in the meantime.
Sabathia, who’s still owed $76 million from the Yankees, has posted a rough 5.28 ERA and 1.48 WHIP through 46 innings (eight starts) this season. Maybe the time away will do him some good.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)