May 11, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia complained of discomfort in his landing (right) knee after allowing eight hits — including three home runs — over 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Brewers on Saturday at Miller Park, so he was sent for an MRI and then placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning after the exam results showed inflammation and fluid buildup.
The Yankees hope Sabathia will be ready to return as soon as his 15 days are up. Alfredo Aceves is expected to take his rotation spot in the meantime.
Sabathia, who’s still owed $76 million from the Yankees, has posted a rough 5.28 ERA and 1.48 WHIP through 46 innings (eight starts) this season. Maybe the time away will do him some good.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 13
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 24
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)