May 11, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia complained of discomfort in his landing (right) knee after allowing eight hits — including three home runs — over 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Brewers on Saturday at Miller Park, so he was sent for an MRI and then placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning after the exam results showed inflammation and fluid buildup.
The Yankees hope Sabathia will be ready to return as soon as his 15 days are up. Alfredo Aceves is expected to take his rotation spot in the meantime.
Sabathia, who’s still owed $76 million from the Yankees, has posted a rough 5.28 ERA and 1.48 WHIP through 46 innings (eight starts) this season. Maybe the time away will do him some good.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)