May 11, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia complained of discomfort in his landing (right) knee after allowing eight hits — including three home runs — over 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Brewers on Saturday at Miller Park, so he was sent for an MRI and then placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning after the exam results showed inflammation and fluid buildup.
The Yankees hope Sabathia will be ready to return as soon as his 15 days are up. Alfredo Aceves is expected to take his rotation spot in the meantime.
Sabathia, who’s still owed $76 million from the Yankees, has posted a rough 5.28 ERA and 1.48 WHIP through 46 innings (eight starts) this season. Maybe the time away will do him some good.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)