May 11, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia complained of discomfort in his landing (right) knee after allowing eight hits — including three home runs — over 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Brewers on Saturday at Miller Park, so he was sent for an MRI and then placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning after the exam results showed inflammation and fluid buildup.
The Yankees hope Sabathia will be ready to return as soon as his 15 days are up. Alfredo Aceves is expected to take his rotation spot in the meantime.
Sabathia, who’s still owed $76 million from the Yankees, has posted a rough 5.28 ERA and 1.48 WHIP through 46 innings (eight starts) this season. Maybe the time away will do him some good.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)