May 12, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has been sidelined since April 26 due to a blister on his right middle finger, but he’s getting closer to rejoining the Tigers’ starting rotation.
Jason Beck of MLB.com notes that Sanchez threw 60 pitches over four simulated innings earlier today. Tigers manager Brad Ausmus gave his throwing session a “thumbs-up” and said that his stuff looked good, but they’ll see how he feels tomorrow before announcing the next step. The hope right now is that he’ll be able to return to pitch Sunday night against the Red Sox.
Coming off an AL-best 2.57 ERA last season, Sanchez posted a 3.13 ERA and 24/11 K/BB ratio in 23 innings over his first five starts this year prior to landing on the disabled list.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 10
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 43
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 60
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)