May 12, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Sergio Santos has a 9.00 ERA this season and pitched his way out of the closer mix when Toronto needed a fill-in for the injured Casey Janssen, so it’s no big shock that he’s now headed to the disabled list with right forearm soreness.
Santos has struck out 20 of the 58 batters he’s faced this season and his average fastball has clocked in at 94.0 miles per hour, but he’s also handed out 11 walks in 12 innings while allowing opponents to post a .574 slugging percentage.
He has a history of arm problems, but Santos was dominant down the stretch last season after returning from an elbow injury. There’s no stated timetable yet for his return this time around and the Blue Jays just got Janssen back from the DL over the weekend.
Incidentally, here are Santos’ seasonal ERAs since 2011: 3.55, 9.00, 1.75, 9.00. That’s a certain kind of consistency, I guess.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)