May 12, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
After spending the first six weeks of the season on the disabled list with a knee injury Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin is expected to come off the disabled list Tuesday, according to Darren Smith of 1090-AM radio in San Diego.
Smith reports that Quentin is traveling with the Padres to Cincinnati, where they begin a three-game series against the Reds tomorrow night. Quentin has gone just 3-for-18 on a minor-league rehab assignment, so he may still be working off some rust.
Quentin has been tremendously productive for the Padres, hitting .268 with an .866 OPS despite calling pitcher’s haven Petco Park home, but he’s been healthy enough to play just 168 of a possible 363 games in two-plus seasons. San Diego has plenty of outfield depth right–including Seth Smith, Will Venable, Chris Denorfia, and Cameron Maybin–so it could make sense to limit Quentin’s workload for a while at least.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)