May 12, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said this afternoon that CC Sabathia has requested to see Dr. James Andrews for a precautionary visit regarding his knee injury.
Sabathia was placed on the disabled list Sunday with right knee inflammation. While an MRI has ruled out any structural damage, he is dealing with fluid in the knee and will have it drained. As of now, the veteran left-hander hopes to return when he’s first eligible in two weeks. It’s worth noting that he had surgery to repair the meniscus in the very same knee following the 2010 season, so it doesn’t hurt to take every precaution. In others, don’t assume that a visit to Dr. Andrews means doom in this case.
Sabathia, 33, owns a 5.28 ERA and 48/10 K/BB ratio through eight starts this year. He has allowed 10 home runs in just 46 innings.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)