May 12, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
Josh Johnson is out for the season following a second Tommy John elbow surgery and never even got to throw a regular season pitch for the Padres, but now he’s keeping busy by coaching the other pitchers on San Diego’s staff.
Corey Brock of MLB.com explains:
“Really, the only thing I can do is help these guys out where I can,” Johnson said. “Since the team came back from that last road trip, I have watched pretty much every single bullpen [session]. I will do that again when they come back from this trip, too.”
The Padres have a pitching coach (Darren Balsley) and a bullpen coach (Willie Blair). And now they have Johnson, who has volunteered his services, his eyes and opinions to the team if they want it.
“I love it,” Balsley said. “This wasn’t anything he asked to do, either. Going back to Spring Training … JJ was the same way, watching other guys pitch in the bullpen. I think part of it is he really wants to be a part of this team. He was really looking forward to pitching here. He has been very supportive for the pitchers. I’ve given him free reign to help out where he sees fit.”
A one-year, $8 million contract makes Johnson the world’s highest-paid coach, but it’s still a cool story because, as Brock writes, he “could just as easily slip in for his rehab work before games and leave undetected, free to head home.” Instead he’s hanging out, helping young pitchers, and generally just being a good guy to have around. All of which is especially interesting because the Padres hold a $4 million team option on Johnson for 2015.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)