May 12, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
Josh Johnson is out for the season following a second Tommy John elbow surgery and never even got to throw a regular season pitch for the Padres, but now he’s keeping busy by coaching the other pitchers on San Diego’s staff.
Corey Brock of MLB.com explains:
“Really, the only thing I can do is help these guys out where I can,” Johnson said. “Since the team came back from that last road trip, I have watched pretty much every single bullpen [session]. I will do that again when they come back from this trip, too.”
The Padres have a pitching coach (Darren Balsley) and a bullpen coach (Willie Blair). And now they have Johnson, who has volunteered his services, his eyes and opinions to the team if they want it.
“I love it,” Balsley said. “This wasn’t anything he asked to do, either. Going back to Spring Training … JJ was the same way, watching other guys pitch in the bullpen. I think part of it is he really wants to be a part of this team. He was really looking forward to pitching here. He has been very supportive for the pitchers. I’ve given him free reign to help out where he sees fit.”
A one-year, $8 million contract makes Johnson the world’s highest-paid coach, but it’s still a cool story because, as Brock writes, he “could just as easily slip in for his rehab work before games and leave undetected, free to head home.” Instead he’s hanging out, helping young pitchers, and generally just being a good guy to have around. All of which is especially interesting because the Padres hold a $4 million team option on Johnson for 2015.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)