Joe Maddon wants the Rays to be hippies

May 12, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

joe maddon woodstock

Themed road trips have become a regular things for the Rays and the latest one is pretty interesting. Manager Joe Maddon has everyone dressing up like they’re going to the original Woodstock concert in 1969, even though he was only 15 years old at the time and most of the players don’t even know much about it.

Maddon explained his interest to Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune:

But I have the documentary on my iPad right now. I didn’t realize Richie Havens started it up and how good he was. He was fantastic. I think Crosby, Stills and Nash said it was their second or third gig ever. I mean, this was absolutely amazing stuff. I’d love for our guys to know more about it.

I can’t imagine anyone ever surpassing Maddon as the coolest manager in baseball. Also: Richie Havens was amazing. I play his version of “Here Comes The Sun” to celebrate Opening Day each season and it never ceases to get me hyped up.

1. hcf95688 - May 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Hopefully they’ll bathe.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

If you watch the movie Joe mentioned, you’ll see more than a few of them bathing together in a nearby pond. And for a while, everyone there gets a shower. Then a mud bath.
      Does this trip take them to Denver? They can make their experience all the more authentic, and still legal, though I’d hold off the drug tests for a couple weeks afterward. Or so I’m told.

• hcf95688 - May 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Yeah. I’ve seen it many times. I was referencing hippies in general.

2. wilmyers09 - May 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I can’t see wil myers dressing up like a hippie

3. ditto65 - May 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

HEY! LOOK AT ME!

• shockgee - May 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Exactly. The Rex Ryan of MLB.

• hittfamily - May 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM

He’s the best manager in baseball on a yearly deal. If he wanted attention, he’d pack his bags and go get it elsewhere.

4. pisano - May 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Maddon’s a good manager, but he may have done to much L in the sixties, just sayin.

5. sophiethegreatdane - May 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Havens? Okay, yes. But…

Sly
    Carlos
    Jimi

That’s where it’s at regarding Woodstock.

6. drewsylvania - May 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I didn’t realize “free love” also meant “free rape”.

• clemente2 - May 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Wrong Woodstock

7. shockgee - May 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Maybe this clown should focus on figuring out how to win on the road as they sink further into the AL East beast. His team and his schtick are getting lamer every day.

8. musketmaniac - May 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM

didn’t the giants already get that title

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3252)