May 12, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Themed road trips have become a regular things for the Rays and the latest one is pretty interesting. Manager Joe Maddon has everyone dressing up like they’re going to the original Woodstock concert in 1969, even though he was only 15 years old at the time and most of the players don’t even know much about it.
Maddon explained his interest to Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune:
But I have the documentary on my iPad right now. I didn’t realize Richie Havens started it up and how good he was. He was fantastic. I think Crosby, Stills and Nash said it was their second or third gig ever. I mean, this was absolutely amazing stuff. I’d love for our guys to know more about it.
I can’t imagine anyone ever surpassing Maddon as the coolest manager in baseball. Also: Richie Havens was amazing. I play his version of “Here Comes The Sun” to celebrate Opening Day each season and it never ceases to get me hyped up.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15