May 12, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Themed road trips have become a regular things for the Rays and the latest one is pretty interesting. Manager Joe Maddon has everyone dressing up like they’re going to the original Woodstock concert in 1969, even though he was only 15 years old at the time and most of the players don’t even know much about it.
Maddon explained his interest to Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune:
But I have the documentary on my iPad right now. I didn’t realize Richie Havens started it up and how good he was. He was fantastic. I think Crosby, Stills and Nash said it was their second or third gig ever. I mean, this was absolutely amazing stuff. I’d love for our guys to know more about it.
I can’t imagine anyone ever surpassing Maddon as the coolest manager in baseball. Also: Richie Havens was amazing. I play his version of “Here Comes The Sun” to celebrate Opening Day each season and it never ceases to get me hyped up.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)