May 12, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Themed road trips have become a regular things for the Rays and the latest one is pretty interesting. Manager Joe Maddon has everyone dressing up like they’re going to the original Woodstock concert in 1969, even though he was only 15 years old at the time and most of the players don’t even know much about it.
Maddon explained his interest to Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune:
But I have the documentary on my iPad right now. I didn’t realize Richie Havens started it up and how good he was. He was fantastic. I think Crosby, Stills and Nash said it was their second or third gig ever. I mean, this was absolutely amazing stuff. I’d love for our guys to know more about it.
I can’t imagine anyone ever surpassing Maddon as the coolest manager in baseball. Also: Richie Havens was amazing. I play his version of “Here Comes The Sun” to celebrate Opening Day each season and it never ceases to get me hyped up.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)