May 12, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Marlins ace Jose Fernandez turned in a rare clunker of a start Friday against the Padres, allowing six runs in five innings and serving up two homers after giving up a total of two homers through his first seven starts.
Fernandez is human, of course, so a start that pushed his ERA from 1.74 to 2.44 isn’t exactly earth-shattering news, but it turns out he was pitching sick. So sick, in fact, that he threw up in the dugout just before taking the mound:
Fernandez said he felt bad throwing his warmup pitches in the bullpen after having his normal pre-game steak and threw up in a dugout garbage can during the first inning when the Marlins were at the plate. …
Fernandez said he almost threw up while standing on the mound in the first, too. Fernandez’s fastball velocity was down several ticks, and he didn’t throw the pitch as much as he does normally. But he said his arm is perfectly fine.
Angels reliever Joe Smith recently had to skip a save opportunity because he threw up in the bullpen right as manager Mike Scioscia called to have him warm up, so I suppose this can be viewed as yet another way in which Jose Fernandez is superior to other pitchers. He throws up and keeps pitching.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)