May 12, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Marlins ace Jose Fernandez turned in a rare clunker of a start Friday against the Padres, allowing six runs in five innings and serving up two homers after giving up a total of two homers through his first seven starts.
Fernandez is human, of course, so a start that pushed his ERA from 1.74 to 2.44 isn’t exactly earth-shattering news, but it turns out he was pitching sick. So sick, in fact, that he threw up in the dugout just before taking the mound:
Fernandez said he felt bad throwing his warmup pitches in the bullpen after having his normal pre-game steak and threw up in a dugout garbage can during the first inning when the Marlins were at the plate. …
Fernandez said he almost threw up while standing on the mound in the first, too. Fernandez’s fastball velocity was down several ticks, and he didn’t throw the pitch as much as he does normally. But he said his arm is perfectly fine.
Angels reliever Joe Smith recently had to skip a save opportunity because he threw up in the bullpen right as manager Mike Scioscia called to have him warm up, so I suppose this can be viewed as yet another way in which Jose Fernandez is superior to other pitchers. He throws up and keeps pitching.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 13
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 64
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)