May 12, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Marlins ace Jose Fernandez turned in a rare clunker of a start Friday against the Padres, allowing six runs in five innings and serving up two homers after giving up a total of two homers through his first seven starts.
Fernandez is human, of course, so a start that pushed his ERA from 1.74 to 2.44 isn’t exactly earth-shattering news, but it turns out he was pitching sick. So sick, in fact, that he threw up in the dugout just before taking the mound:
Fernandez said he felt bad throwing his warmup pitches in the bullpen after having his normal pre-game steak and threw up in a dugout garbage can during the first inning when the Marlins were at the plate. …
Fernandez said he almost threw up while standing on the mound in the first, too. Fernandez’s fastball velocity was down several ticks, and he didn’t throw the pitch as much as he does normally. But he said his arm is perfectly fine.
Angels reliever Joe Smith recently had to skip a save opportunity because he threw up in the bullpen right as manager Mike Scioscia called to have him warm up, so I suppose this can be viewed as yet another way in which Jose Fernandez is superior to other pitchers. He throws up and keeps pitching.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)