May 12, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
General manager Sandy Alderson just announced that 23-year-old pitching prospect Rafael Montero is on his way to New York to join the Mets’ rotation for the Subway Series against the Yankees.
He’s scheduled to start Wednesday versus Masahiro Tanaka at Citi Field after posting a 3.67 ERA and 41/18 K/BB ratio in 42 innings at Triple-A. While not considered quite an elite prospect because he lacks overpowering raw stuff, Montero was excellent between Double-A and Triple-A last season with a 2.78 ERA and 150/35 K/BB ratio in 155 innings at age 22 and projects as a potential mid-rotation starter long term.
And in a corresponding move the Mets have decided to shift Jenrry Mejia from the rotation to the bullpen after giving the 24-year-old right-hander a grand total of 18 starts spread over parts of four different seasons to “prove” himself as a starter.
Mejia has a 4.75 ERA in those starts, compared to a 3.23 ERA in 32 career relief appearances, so perhaps he’s better off in the bullpen, but it would have been nice to see him get a little more of an extended opportunity before the shift to a 70-inning role was made at such a young age.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)