May 12, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
General manager Sandy Alderson just announced that 23-year-old pitching prospect Rafael Montero is on his way to New York to join the Mets’ rotation for the Subway Series against the Yankees.
He’s scheduled to start Wednesday versus Masahiro Tanaka at Citi Field after posting a 3.67 ERA and 41/18 K/BB ratio in 42 innings at Triple-A. While not considered quite an elite prospect because he lacks overpowering raw stuff, Montero was excellent between Double-A and Triple-A last season with a 2.78 ERA and 150/35 K/BB ratio in 155 innings at age 22 and projects as a potential mid-rotation starter long term.
And in a corresponding move the Mets have decided to shift Jenrry Mejia from the rotation to the bullpen after giving the 24-year-old right-hander a grand total of 18 starts spread over parts of four different seasons to “prove” himself as a starter.
Mejia has a 4.75 ERA in those starts, compared to a 3.23 ERA in 32 career relief appearances, so perhaps he’s better off in the bullpen, but it would have been nice to see him get a little more of an extended opportunity before the shift to a 70-inning role was made at such a young age.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)