May 12, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Mitch Williams, a man who MLB Network pays presumably good money to offer his nuanced and experienced opinions about baseball, did this over the weekend. Deadspin reports:
MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams was ejected Saturday from a baseball game for 10-year-olds after a profanity-laced tirade in which he called an umpire a “motherf****r” in front of the children, observers tell us.
Deadspin has a detailed report plus pictures, plus Williams’ own defense of himself via Twitter. Williams claims that the umpire was the one who was out of control. And Ripken Baseball — the organization that sanctioned the tournament in which the team Williams coaches is playing — did state that the umpire acted “unprofessionally.” Still, Deadspin has statements from numerous witnesses that the ump’s bad behavior only after Williams went crazy on him.
But really: whether the umpire started it or Williams did, both of them are out of their gourd for letting a little league game inspire this sort of escalation. Just absolutely crazy that anything could inspire anyone to these kinds of antics in front of a bunch of 10-year-olds.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)