May 12, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Mitch Williams, a man who MLB Network pays presumably good money to offer his nuanced and experienced opinions about baseball, did this over the weekend. Deadspin reports:
MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams was ejected Saturday from a baseball game for 10-year-olds after a profanity-laced tirade in which he called an umpire a “motherf****r” in front of the children, observers tell us.
Deadspin has a detailed report plus pictures, plus Williams’ own defense of himself via Twitter. Williams claims that the umpire was the one who was out of control. And Ripken Baseball — the organization that sanctioned the tournament in which the team Williams coaches is playing — did state that the umpire acted “unprofessionally.” Still, Deadspin has statements from numerous witnesses that the ump’s bad behavior only after Williams went crazy on him.
But really: whether the umpire started it or Williams did, both of them are out of their gourd for letting a little league game inspire this sort of escalation. Just absolutely crazy that anything could inspire anyone to these kinds of antics in front of a bunch of 10-year-olds.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)