May 12, 2014, 8:43 AM EST
Mitch Williams, a man who MLB Network pays presumably good money to offer his nuanced and experienced opinions about baseball, did this over the weekend. Deadspin reports:
MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams was ejected Saturday from a baseball game for 10-year-olds after a profanity-laced tirade in which he called an umpire a “motherf****r” in front of the children, observers tell us.
Deadspin has a detailed report plus pictures, plus Williams’ own defense of himself via Twitter. Williams claims that the umpire was the one who was out of control. And Ripken Baseball — the organization that sanctioned the tournament in which the team Williams coaches is playing — did state that the umpire acted “unprofessionally.” Still, Deadspin has statements from numerous witnesses that the ump’s bad behavior only after Williams went crazy on him.
But really: whether the umpire started it or Williams did, both of them are out of their gourd for letting a little league game inspire this sort of escalation. Just absolutely crazy that anything could inspire anyone to these kinds of antics in front of a bunch of 10-year-olds.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)