Mitch Williams ejected from a child’s baseball game for cussing out the umpire

May 12, 2014, 8:43 AM EST

Mitch Williams

Mitch Williams, a man who MLB Network pays presumably good money to offer his nuanced and experienced opinions about baseball, did this over the weekend. Deadspin reports:

MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams was ejected Saturday from a baseball game for 10-year-olds after a profanity-laced tirade in which he called an umpire a “motherf****r” in front of the children, observers tell us.

Deadspin has a detailed report plus pictures, plus Williams’ own defense of himself via Twitter. Williams claims that the umpire was the one who was out of control. And Ripken Baseball — the organization that sanctioned the tournament in which the team Williams coaches is playing — did state that the umpire acted “unprofessionally.” Still, Deadspin has statements from numerous witnesses that the ump’s bad behavior only after Williams went crazy on him.

But really: whether the umpire started it or Williams did, both of them are out of their gourd for letting a little league game inspire this sort of escalation. Just absolutely crazy that anything could inspire anyone to these kinds of antics in front of a bunch of 10-year-olds.

1. Matt Loveland - May 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM

He was just bringing the kids what he knows: Philadelphia style baseball.

2. chacochicken - May 12, 2014 at 8:56 AM

What a maroon.

• greymares - May 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM

What’s a maroon ?

• pjmitch - May 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

If you watched more Bugs Bunny cartoons, you would know.

• yahmule - May 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He’s a regular Ta-rah-rah-GOON-de-ay!

• beachnbaseball - May 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM

• koufaxmitzvah - May 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM

It’s a racist term from the 1950s. It’s the Sambo of Bugs Bunny insults.

• chacochicken - May 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I think he was just mispronouncing “moron”.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Don’t downding American history. While a mispronounced Moron sounds about right, the term Maroon, when pegged on people, is denigrating native populations in their native land (i.e. black people in Africa as being stupid).

I love Bugs. It doesn’t stop the fact these cartoons were written for adults during the 1950s.

• drewy44 - May 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM

He’s referring to a player on the 1920s Pottsville Maroons. One of the first NFL franchises who had their championship stolen from them by the league.

(Kidding, of course – but not everyone knows about the Maroons)

3. larrytsg - May 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Well, thanks for making my morning, as tonight I am umpiring a game of 10 year olds. Good thing no former major league jackwagons (that’s a Calcaterra word, right?) live in town, and I anticipate the only ones upset are the kids who can’t make contact (and the 2 or 3 HBP).

• stoutfiles - May 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I ump 9U up to high school, and a lot of times those coaches at the lower levels can be worse. When the kids can’t get an out to save their life, they start using the ump as their scapegoat, and at that level you don’t have a partner so it’s all on you.

• Kevin Gillman - May 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Hopefully it doesn’t rain, and the game can be played.

4. yahmule - May 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

“And Ripken Baseball — the organization that sanctioned the tournament in which the team Williams coaches is playing — did state that the umpire acted “unprofessionally.” Still, Deadspin has statements from numerous witnesses that the ump’s bad behavior only after Williams went crazy on him.”

Billy Ripken and this punk work together. The comments from Ripken Baseball about the umpire’s comportment conflict greatly with those of eyewitnesses who claim Williams was contesting calls all game long.

This jerk claims a 65 year old umpire challenged him to fight and he’s doubling down on that lie today.

I would have cheerfully run the out-of-control SOB after the second time he complained about the strike zone, but apparently his Z-list celebrity status and relationship with old “FF” meant this clown was given way more rope than he needed to hang himself. Of course, the video of the incident taped by Ripken Baseball is suspiciously unavailable for viewing. Gosh, I wonder why.

My deepest sympathies to Mitch Williams’ kid. It breaks my heart when I see the young athletes saddled with idiot parents like this and their embarrassment only extends to the local ball field. Although, I’m sure this is far from the first time the kid has seen his old man act like a fool in public.

5. hittfamily - May 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I umped little league a couple years ago. 25 bucks for 2 games, 5:30-9:45. My patience was worn thin the second I showed up. If anyone ever called me that, those kids would have forfeited.

• stoutfiles - May 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Wow, that’s awful. My association pays $50-$55 for 9-12 year olds, and $60 for 13+. $80 if you have to do 13+ by yourself. Even then it’s just enough pay when you consider the drive there and back, and the mental effort it takes to stay constantly alert for 2+ hours.

• drewy44 - May 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I also umpired in my late teens. The politics and angry parents was a lot to bear. If you called their kid out, you’d get threatened in the parking lot. Not worth the money (at the time it was $25 for home, $15 for the bases).

• larrytsg - May 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM

We get $32 for younger kids (9/10) and $44 for the older kids (11/12), on the small diamond. I cannot imagine doing 2 games back to back, not with my 50 year old knees.

Tonight I have a partner (he’s 14 or so) but we have the younger kids with the biggest strike zone you can imagine, knees to shoulders, plates plus 2 inches on either side. If it’s close, it’s a strike. Gets the younger kids swinging…. not a bad thing.

6. tbutler704 - May 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Good on Mitch Williams. Don’t take no sh!t off nobody.

7. tbutler704 - May 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Good on Mitch Williams. Don’t take no sh!t off nobody.

This teaches those kids an important lesson: cuss out any motherf$$$er who deserves it.

8. dj4900 - May 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Williams was an idiot when he played and now he has proven that he still is. Two easiest targets for the umpire to spot: the pitcher’s dad and any other ” It’s all about my kid” parent

9. bluburt - May 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Was Harold Reynolds the umpire…?

• kevinbnyc - May 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM

No, it was Joe Carter.

10. 18thstreet - May 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

It’s hard for me to imagine that a person who acts like this at a little league baseball game is a pleasant person in other places.

11. serbingood - May 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM

So MLB TV will be giving Mr. Williams an unpaid vacation, right? Being a ‘face’ of MLB TV does carry some sort of personal responsibility and code of behavior; unless you are going after Alexander Rodrigues.

• kevinbnyc - May 12, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I really hope they do. He’s terrible.

12. jm91rs - May 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I made an ump cry in our little league game yesterday. Sure he was only 2 years older than my 10 year old players, but his strike zone was messed up. I don’t feel bad about it either. It’s little league baseball, nothing is more important in life. These damn 12 year olds need to know that they’re killing my kid’s chances at being a big leaguer and with the robot umps on the way, there’s no future for them in the sport.

13. flyinhighwithvick - May 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM

This wouldn’t even be a story if it wasn’t a former Phillie.

14. maxshepardmd - May 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

He also doesn’t care too much about the arms of his pitchers. He let his pitcher (a 10yo) throw over a 100 pitches in a 6 inning game on Sunday. The kid may have won, but that is just terrible judgment to let a 10 yo kid throw that many pitches. He should know better as a former ballplayer. Ripken baseball may want to think about a pitch count at its tournaments.

15. scobbalobba - May 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM

I wonder if “Mad-Dog” Williams whose best mate is Joe Carter, got tips on how to go and and lose your cool like a douche bag from Wally Backman ?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5272)
  2. M. Kemp (3130)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2843)
  4. C. McGehee (2831)