May 12, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Remember Neftali Feliz? Well, he’s been shut down for the past month due to general soreness and fatigue, but Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that he is likely to be activated with Triple-A Round Rock tomorrow.
Feliz is still trying to get back to 100 percent from his Tommy John surgery in 2012. The 26-year-old right-hander was in the mix for the Rangers’ closer role during spring training, but he was demoted to Triple-A after he showed diminished velocity and had issues recovering from one outing to the next. He allowed one run and struck out six over 5 2/3 innings before going on the disabled list last month, but he still had issues with his velocity and didn’t pitch on consecutive days. The hope is that the rest will get him back on track physically.
Once considered among the game’s best young pitchers, Feliz compiled a 2.55 ERA and 74 saves over his first three seasons in the majors before the Rangers moved him to the rotation in 2012. He pitched in just eight games (seven starts) before undergoing Tommy John surgery.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)