May 12, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
For years tons of Minnesotans wanted Hall of Famer (and local boy) Paul Molitor added to the Twins’ coaching staff because he’s always been touted as a great baseball mind and specifically an excellent base-running teacher.
This season the Twins finally added him to Ron Gardenhire’s staff and to hear Brian Dozier tell it at least, Molitor has already had a big impact. Dozier, who has 12 steals after totaling 14 all of last season, told Tyler Mason of FSN North:
To be honest with you, what’s kind of revamped everything has been having Molly on the staff. It’s been night and day compared to every other year, as far as dissecting pitchers, knowing exactly what they do, their tendencies, stuff like that. He has a five, 10-minute conversation with me before every game and every single thing that he’s got on film from the pitcher, tendencies, everything.
All of which is great, of course, although as a Twins fan it does make me wonder what took so long to actually get Molitor on the coaching staff.
As a team the Twins rank fourth in the league with 27 steals and have been thrown out just eight times. Last season they stole 52 bases all year to rank 13th in the league and Dozier went just 14-for-21. Molitor has also been tasked with handling the Twins’ defensive shifts, which are much more frequent and analytic based after a decade of relying mostly on Gardenhire’s eyes and gut feelings.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)