Quote of the Day: Jon Hamm really despises the Mets. And the Dodgers.

May 12, 2014, 1:08 PM EST

Don Draper

Last week’s “Mad Men” featured Don Draper ditching work to go the Mets game and drunkenly singing “Meet the Mets.” The man who plays Don Draper, Jon Hamm, is doing the publicity circuit for his new baseball movie “Million Dollar Arm.” So, naturally, he’s being asked about that “Meet the Mets” scene.

Hamm is a hardcore Cardinals fan, though, so he’s telling it like it really is:

“Oh, I hated the Mets with a passion that kills and still do . . . My God, I hate the Dodgers, too. I loved it when we kicked their ass in ‘85. Jack Clark and Ozzie Smith both ruined Tom Niedenfuer. That was fantastic.”

I sorta love that he’s not at all diplomatic about it. I hope he’s not one of those guys who goes on about “The Cardinal Way” and such, but legit trash talking other fan bases is loads of fun. And so few well-known people actually ever do it.

1. skeleteeth - May 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Gah spoilers!

• paperlions - May 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

You didn’t know how the ’85 NLCS turned out?

Do you have it recorded on betamax and just never got around to watching it?

• skeleteeth - May 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Mad Men, dangus. Saw what looked like plotline and since I’m 2 episodes behind I skipped rest of article.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Are you crabby? What’s up with that? Obvs meant MM.

• paperlions - May 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Is your obvious detector turned off today?

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

That you thought you were being funny?

• paperlions - May 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Who’s the crabby one?

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Do I get an olive if I say “me”?

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I probably was crabby. Sorry. It was a bad day…until I got my baseball fix in.

• paperlions - May 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM

No problem.

I was in a good mood….UNTIL I tried to get my baseball fix. The Cardinals are just not playing good baseball at all this year. There are games where it seems like no one hits the ball hard…or if 5 guys hit it hard, every time it is right at someone.

I think this is a direct result of the media spending all offseason complimenting the Cardinals…it gave me a bad feeling…I think the Gods of Baseball are punishing them for hubris or something.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM

They are punishing you for watching that football nonsense.

BTW, the Rams are in St. Louis. I might have to get a jersey.

• paperlions - May 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know the Rams were in StL.

I was glad to see the kid picked and happy that it is essentially, his home town team…might make some of the nonsense less problematic. That was some quality live TV…it may seem relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things, but….you know….baby steps.

Last I saw, his Jersey was the 2nd best seller among draftees.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I know, right. They left LA. Sam might be the only thing that would prompt me to watch mouthbreatherball.

Actual conversation with me and my buddies last year:
        Buddy #1: What’s up with the Ravens trying to step all over your Orioles?
        Buddy #2: Screw the Ravens!
        Me: Who are the Ravens?
        Buddy #2: The pro football team in Baltimore.
        Me: Not the Colts?
        Buddy #2: The Colts are in Indianapolis.
        Buddy #1: LOL
        Me: Okay, they were in Baltimore.
        Buddy #1: When?
        Me: IDK, sometime.
        Buddy #2: Well, it’s the Ravens now.
        Buddy #1: (after googling it) You’re old.
        Me: GTH.

• paperlions - May 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

That is pretty funny.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Punks.

• paperlions - May 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I would have been impressed that you knew Baltimore used to be the Colts. Pretty good memory for your age.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Kiss my grits!

2. Gordon - May 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM

That scene was terrific. As was the reminder that his new office was once occupied by a Mets fan who hanged himself in there. Gonna miss this show when it wraps up next year.

3. chip56 - May 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Mad Men sucks.

• kcroyal - May 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM

You suck. Mad Men is just fine.

• southpaw2k - May 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I don’t hate Mad Men at all, but I watched the first two episodes and couldn’t get into it. Was not a show for me.

But then, I also broke up with Game of Thrones midway through last season because I couldn’t stomach watching people walk through forests endlessly, sit around tables and talk smack to one another, or try recruiting others to follow their cause for….reasons.

(I know, I know – the Red Wedding was a HUGE deal, but sitting through 9 episodes of essentially nothing just to get to that is not enough of a pay off for me)

• kcroyal - May 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Well if you don’t like Mad Men OR GoT, then I hate you.

• Gordon - May 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM

southpaw2K….I almost gave up after the first few episodes as well. It is long form storytelling, so it takes a while for the storyline to develop. That’s the brilliance of Netflix…you can binge and get caught up, then hang in and appreciate the story lines as they develop. Same for Game of Thrones.

4. sdelmonte - May 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM

All these years later, after a rivalry where the Cards got the best of the Mets most of the time, and he still feels the hate. Is that a tribute to the Mets, or just a sign of how irrational fans can be?

• Francisco (FC) - May 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Both.

5. beefytrout - May 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Hamm is King Douche.

6. stephenacosta91 - May 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Dodgers and Mets fans will no longer be watching Mad Men! or not!

7. yahmule - May 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Things were way better when white male alcoholics were calling all the shots.

8. historiophiliac - May 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Mmmmmm, Jon Hamm.

9. tnmup18 - May 13, 2014 at 4:20 AM

I loved how the Red Sox destroyed St. Louis in 2013… yeah, 2013… not 1985…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5628)