May 13, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Kyle Blanks hasn’t gotten much playing time since being called up from Triple-A by the Padres last week and now Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that the A’s “have shown interest in trading for” the 27-year-old outfielder/first baseman.
Blanks was once a top prospect, but injuries have repeatedly derailed his career and now he’s a lifetime .228 hitter in 806 plate appearances. He does, however, have 28 homers and 71 walks in that action for a .712 OPS that’s pretty decent for someone calling Petco Park home, and if given a chance in a part-time role the right-handed hitting Blanks could certainly knock around left-handed pitching. And no one loves platooning more than the A’s.
Blanks is 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds, and as a minor leaguer he put up some huge numbers while ranking among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects. In 141 total games at Triple-A he’s hit .295 with 33 homers and a .962 OPS.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)