May 13, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Kyle Blanks hasn’t gotten much playing time since being called up from Triple-A by the Padres last week and now Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that the A’s “have shown interest in trading for” the 27-year-old outfielder/first baseman.
Blanks was once a top prospect, but injuries have repeatedly derailed his career and now he’s a lifetime .228 hitter in 806 plate appearances. He does, however, have 28 homers and 71 walks in that action for a .712 OPS that’s pretty decent for someone calling Petco Park home, and if given a chance in a part-time role the right-handed hitting Blanks could certainly knock around left-handed pitching. And no one loves platooning more than the A’s.
Blanks is 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds, and as a minor leaguer he put up some huge numbers while ranking among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects. In 141 total games at Triple-A he’s hit .295 with 33 homers and a .962 OPS.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 15
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)