May 13, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
He doesn’t quite carry the profile of a Kris Medlen or Jose Fernandez or A.J. Griffin or Matt Moore, but you can add Astros reliever Jose Cisnero to the long list of young pitchers requiring Tommy John surgery.
CSN Houston’s Julia Morales reports that Cisnero is scheduled to undergo the reconstructive elbow procedure next week in Texas. He is done for the remainder of the 2014 season, and will probably miss the first half of the 2015 campaign as well.
Cisnero, a 25-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic, had regstered a promising 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, and 18 strikeouts through 11 innings (six relief appearances) this season at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He owns a 4.66 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 48 1/3 career innings at the major league level.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)