May 13, 2014, 10:58 PM EST
He doesn’t quite carry the profile of a Kris Medlen or Jose Fernandez or A.J. Griffin or Matt Moore, but you can add Astros reliever Jose Cisnero to the long list of young pitchers requiring Tommy John surgery.
CSN Houston’s Julia Morales reports that Cisnero is scheduled to undergo the reconstructive elbow procedure next week in Texas. He is done for the remainder of the 2014 season, and will probably miss the first half of the 2015 campaign as well.
Cisnero, a 25-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic, had regstered a promising 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, and 18 strikeouts through 11 innings (six relief appearances) this season at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He owns a 4.66 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 48 1/3 career innings at the major league level.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)