May 13, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
He doesn’t quite carry the profile of a Kris Medlen or Jose Fernandez or A.J. Griffin or Matt Moore, but you can add Astros reliever Jose Cisnero to the long list of young pitchers requiring Tommy John surgery.
CSN Houston’s Julia Morales reports that Cisnero is scheduled to undergo the reconstructive elbow procedure next week in Texas. He is done for the remainder of the 2014 season, and will probably miss the first half of the 2015 campaign as well.
Cisnero, a 25-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic, had regstered a promising 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, and 18 strikeouts through 11 innings (six relief appearances) this season at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He owns a 4.66 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 48 1/3 career innings at the major league level.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 14
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 63
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)