May 13, 2014, 10:58 PM EST
He doesn’t quite carry the profile of a Kris Medlen or Jose Fernandez or A.J. Griffin or Matt Moore, but you can add Astros reliever Jose Cisnero to the long list of young pitchers requiring Tommy John surgery.
CSN Houston’s Julia Morales reports that Cisnero is scheduled to undergo the reconstructive elbow procedure next week in Texas. He is done for the remainder of the 2014 season, and will probably miss the first half of the 2015 campaign as well.
Cisnero, a 25-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic, had regstered a promising 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, and 18 strikeouts through 11 innings (six relief appearances) this season at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He owns a 4.66 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 48 1/3 career innings at the major league level.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)