May 13, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
He doesn’t quite carry the profile of a Kris Medlen or Jose Fernandez or A.J. Griffin or Matt Moore, but you can add Astros reliever Jose Cisnero to the long list of young pitchers requiring Tommy John surgery.
CSN Houston’s Julia Morales reports that Cisnero is scheduled to undergo the reconstructive elbow procedure next week in Texas. He is done for the remainder of the 2014 season, and will probably miss the first half of the 2015 campaign as well.
Cisnero, a 25-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic, had regstered a promising 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, and 18 strikeouts through 11 innings (six relief appearances) this season at Triple-A Oklahoma City. He owns a 4.66 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 48 1/3 career innings at the major league level.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 36
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)