May 13, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons had been filling in for injured right-hander Joe Kelly in the Cardinals’ rotation, but now he’s hurt too.
Lyons allowed nine runs in yesterday’s blowout loss to the Cubs and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder. No word yet on who’ll be next to step into St. Louis’ rotation, but oft-injured left-hander Jaime Garcia has been rehabbing in the minors and could be just about ready.
Lyons, who was called up from Triple-A in mid-April following Kelly’s hamstring injury, now has a 5.19 ERA in 78 career innings at age 26, although his ERA was 4.38 ERA before Monday’s implosion.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)