May 13, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons had been filling in for injured right-hander Joe Kelly in the Cardinals’ rotation, but now he’s hurt too.
Lyons allowed nine runs in yesterday’s blowout loss to the Cubs and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder. No word yet on who’ll be next to step into St. Louis’ rotation, but oft-injured left-hander Jaime Garcia has been rehabbing in the minors and could be just about ready.
Lyons, who was called up from Triple-A in mid-April following Kelly’s hamstring injury, now has a 5.19 ERA in 78 career innings at age 26, although his ERA was 4.38 ERA before Monday’s implosion.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)