May 13, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons had been filling in for injured right-hander Joe Kelly in the Cardinals’ rotation, but now he’s hurt too.
Lyons allowed nine runs in yesterday’s blowout loss to the Cubs and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder. No word yet on who’ll be next to step into St. Louis’ rotation, but oft-injured left-hander Jaime Garcia has been rehabbing in the minors and could be just about ready.
Lyons, who was called up from Triple-A in mid-April following Kelly’s hamstring injury, now has a 5.19 ERA in 78 career innings at age 26, although his ERA was 4.38 ERA before Monday’s implosion.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)