May 13, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons had been filling in for injured right-hander Joe Kelly in the Cardinals’ rotation, but now he’s hurt too.
Lyons allowed nine runs in yesterday’s blowout loss to the Cubs and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder. No word yet on who’ll be next to step into St. Louis’ rotation, but oft-injured left-hander Jaime Garcia has been rehabbing in the minors and could be just about ready.
Lyons, who was called up from Triple-A in mid-April following Kelly’s hamstring injury, now has a 5.19 ERA in 78 career innings at age 26, although his ERA was 4.38 ERA before Monday’s implosion.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29