May 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly has been on the disabled list since mid-April with a hamstring injury and it sounds like he’s not close to rejoining the rotation.
Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Kelly hasn’t been cleared to throw a bullpen session or do any running following a “flareup” 10 days ago. Kelly told Hummel that he’s trying to be cautious in order to avoid aggravating the hamstring injury again and “be out the rest of the year.”
Triple-A call-up Tyler Lyons was doing relatively well stepping into the rotation in place of Kelly until Monday, when he allowed nine runs against the Cubs to send his ERA from 3.43 to 6.12. Based on Kelly’s status Lyons seems likely to hang onto a starting gig until at least mid-June.
UPDATE: So much for that. Now Lyons is injured too.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)