May 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly has been on the disabled list since mid-April with a hamstring injury and it sounds like he’s not close to rejoining the rotation.
Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Kelly hasn’t been cleared to throw a bullpen session or do any running following a “flareup” 10 days ago. Kelly told Hummel that he’s trying to be cautious in order to avoid aggravating the hamstring injury again and “be out the rest of the year.”
Triple-A call-up Tyler Lyons was doing relatively well stepping into the rotation in place of Kelly until Monday, when he allowed nine runs against the Cubs to send his ERA from 3.43 to 6.12. Based on Kelly’s status Lyons seems likely to hang onto a starting gig until at least mid-June.
UPDATE: So much for that. Now Lyons is injured too.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)