May 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly has been on the disabled list since mid-April with a hamstring injury and it sounds like he’s not close to rejoining the rotation.
Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Kelly hasn’t been cleared to throw a bullpen session or do any running following a “flareup” 10 days ago. Kelly told Hummel that he’s trying to be cautious in order to avoid aggravating the hamstring injury again and “be out the rest of the year.”
Triple-A call-up Tyler Lyons was doing relatively well stepping into the rotation in place of Kelly until Monday, when he allowed nine runs against the Cubs to send his ERA from 3.43 to 6.12. Based on Kelly’s status Lyons seems likely to hang onto a starting gig until at least mid-June.
UPDATE: So much for that. Now Lyons is injured too.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)