May 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg lost six pounds in two days, and blamed it on a hamburger he ate this past weekend at the Mets’ Citi Field. Now he has a corroborator, and it’s someone from the home team.
Mets first baseman Lucas Duda had to be hospitalized on Friday because of an upset stomach and told Danny Knobler of ESPN New York that he believes the cause was an under-cooked burger at that same Shake Shack, which draws long lines to the center field concourse every game and is often praised for its high-quality food.
A Mets official told Knobler that an investigation is underway. And here’s a statement from Shake Shack senior marketing manager Greg Waters:
“The first we heard of this situation was about an hour ago via Twitter. “We’re attempting to get in touch with Ryne Sandberg to learn more. At this point we have no further knowledge of the situation, and there have been no other related reports whatsoever. Food safety is of paramount importance to us, and we’re connecting with our management team at the Citi Field Shake Shack now to discuss further and find out more.”
To be fair: If this were a common, major issue, the place probably wouldn’t get such great reviews.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)