May 13, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg lost six pounds in two days, and blamed it on a hamburger he ate this past weekend at the Mets’ Citi Field. Now he has a corroborator, and it’s someone from the home team.
Mets first baseman Lucas Duda had to be hospitalized on Friday because of an upset stomach and told Danny Knobler of ESPN New York that he believes the cause was an under-cooked burger at that same Shake Shack, which draws long lines to the center field concourse every game and is often praised for its high-quality food.
A Mets official told Knobler that an investigation is underway. And here’s a statement from Shake Shack senior marketing manager Greg Waters:
“The first we heard of this situation was about an hour ago via Twitter. “We’re attempting to get in touch with Ryne Sandberg to learn more. At this point we have no further knowledge of the situation, and there have been no other related reports whatsoever. Food safety is of paramount importance to us, and we’re connecting with our management team at the Citi Field Shake Shack now to discuss further and find out more.”
To be fair: If this were a common, major issue, the place probably wouldn’t get such great reviews.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)