Mets GM says manager Terry Collins “has done an outstanding job”

May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v New York Mets Getty Images

It’s that time of year when managers of sub-.500 teams start getting public votes of confidence from their general managers and the Mets are 18-19, so general manager Sandy Alderson had some words of praise for Terry Collins yesterday.

Responding to what he referred to as “Twitter traffic” criticizing Collins, the GM told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger:

I think Terry has done an excellent job. I’ve said that over three-plus seasons.  Terry has done an outstanding job. First and foremost he keeps our players motivated. We talk a lot about the fact that it’s a long season and getting the most out of our players is probably the most important leadership that a manager faces.

We all disagree from time to time on field strategy. That happens. I’m sure it happens with fans, it happens with everyone. And it happens with me. We talk about it from time to time. But those are incidental–those are from time to time. Those are more about educating me and others and just talking about things. It happens. It’s human nature.

Collins is in his fourth season as Mets manager, compiling a 243-280 (.465) record. After winning 77, 74, and 74 games in his first three years on the job the Mets are on pace to win 79 games right now and, thanks to an extension signed during the offseason, Collins is under contract for 2015 as well. In other words, he’s not going anywhere.

1. Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Why should he be going anywhere? He’s done about as much as could be expected considering what he’s been given to work with, and especially considering that he’s lost his ace. He’s not my idea of the guy I’d want to work for, but who could do a better job with this team, really?

• sdelmonte - May 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I’d love to find a way to swap managers around for a week. Put Girardi in Queens, Collins in LA, Mattingly in the Bronx, etc. I bet the results wouldn’t be substantially different.

Still, Collins seems to be well suited to the task at hand. The question is, in ’15 and ’16, assuming the rotation comes together and the bats are there, is he the guy to take them to the next level? Or am I getting ahead of things by even asking?

• Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

It’s a reasonable question. I guess the only answer is to wait and see what happens when some of the young pitchers and other players develop – and, of course, to see if the Wilpoons will let out some leash when it comes to signing the missing pieces. In any case Collins strikes me as having earned the chance to try to take them onward.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM

It is one thing to be under .500 when expectations were different. I think everyone would be shocked if this team were to finish as high as .500 for the year. It must be a tough task to keep players motivated when they surely understand the situation as well as anyone.

3. fissels - May 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM

This Mets team seems to have some heart, which I attribute to the manager and the team leaders

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3225)