May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
It’s that time of year when managers of sub-.500 teams start getting public votes of confidence from their general managers and the Mets are 18-19, so general manager Sandy Alderson had some words of praise for Terry Collins yesterday.
Responding to what he referred to as “Twitter traffic” criticizing Collins, the GM told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger:
I think Terry has done an excellent job. I’ve said that over three-plus seasons. Terry has done an outstanding job. First and foremost he keeps our players motivated. We talk a lot about the fact that it’s a long season and getting the most out of our players is probably the most important leadership that a manager faces.
We all disagree from time to time on field strategy. That happens. I’m sure it happens with fans, it happens with everyone. And it happens with me. We talk about it from time to time. But those are incidental–those are from time to time. Those are more about educating me and others and just talking about things. It happens. It’s human nature.
Collins is in his fourth season as Mets manager, compiling a 243-280 (.465) record. After winning 77, 74, and 74 games in his first three years on the job the Mets are on pace to win 79 games right now and, thanks to an extension signed during the offseason, Collins is under contract for 2015 as well. In other words, he’s not going anywhere.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)