May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
It’s that time of year when managers of sub-.500 teams start getting public votes of confidence from their general managers and the Mets are 18-19, so general manager Sandy Alderson had some words of praise for Terry Collins yesterday.
Responding to what he referred to as “Twitter traffic” criticizing Collins, the GM told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger:
I think Terry has done an excellent job. I’ve said that over three-plus seasons. Terry has done an outstanding job. First and foremost he keeps our players motivated. We talk a lot about the fact that it’s a long season and getting the most out of our players is probably the most important leadership that a manager faces.
We all disagree from time to time on field strategy. That happens. I’m sure it happens with fans, it happens with everyone. And it happens with me. We talk about it from time to time. But those are incidental–those are from time to time. Those are more about educating me and others and just talking about things. It happens. It’s human nature.
Collins is in his fourth season as Mets manager, compiling a 243-280 (.465) record. After winning 77, 74, and 74 games in his first three years on the job the Mets are on pace to win 79 games right now and, thanks to an extension signed during the offseason, Collins is under contract for 2015 as well. In other words, he’s not going anywhere.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)