May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
It’s that time of year when managers of sub-.500 teams start getting public votes of confidence from their general managers and the Mets are 18-19, so general manager Sandy Alderson had some words of praise for Terry Collins yesterday.
Responding to what he referred to as “Twitter traffic” criticizing Collins, the GM told Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star Ledger:
I think Terry has done an excellent job. I’ve said that over three-plus seasons. Terry has done an outstanding job. First and foremost he keeps our players motivated. We talk a lot about the fact that it’s a long season and getting the most out of our players is probably the most important leadership that a manager faces.
We all disagree from time to time on field strategy. That happens. I’m sure it happens with fans, it happens with everyone. And it happens with me. We talk about it from time to time. But those are incidental–those are from time to time. Those are more about educating me and others and just talking about things. It happens. It’s human nature.
Collins is in his fourth season as Mets manager, compiling a 243-280 (.465) record. After winning 77, 74, and 74 games in his first three years on the job the Mets are on pace to win 79 games right now and, thanks to an extension signed during the offseason, Collins is under contract for 2015 as well. In other words, he’s not going anywhere.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)