May 13, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Trout, 22, is on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week.
In his two full seasons in the majors, he has been American League Rookie of the Year and finished second in the MVP voting to Miguel Cabrera twice.
He’s a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but you’ve probably already heard that, or seen it, a time or two.
Trout, who plays center field for Mike Scioscia’s Angels, will have plenty of fans in the stands Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon.
He will have one in the Phillies’ dugout, as well.
“I think we’re all fans of each other,” said Ryan Howard, himself a former Rookie of the Year and MVP winner. “All we’ve been able to do is hear about him because we never play against them.”
Read more on the Phillies from Comcast SportsNet by clicking here.
Interleague play brings the Trout — and don’t forget Albert Pujols (10 homers, 26 RBIs in his first 36 games) — to town. The Phillies are coming off a terrible loss in New York on Sunday. They blew a three-run lead in the ninth and lost, 5-4, in 11 innings to the Mets (see story).
“We’re not looking at one guy, we’re looking at an entire team,” Howard said. “We need to regroup and pull it together and get ready for the entire Angels team, not just Trout.”
Howard conceded that Trout is special.
And what impresses Howard most about Trout?
“I would say his poise,” Howard said. “I think the way he’s handled himself with all the attention and the hype, just the way he’s carried himself, it’s impressive. I’m not one to throw the age thing around, but for being so young, he’s handled everything like a true veteran with a lot of maturity.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)