May 13, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Trout, 22, is on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week.
In his two full seasons in the majors, he has been American League Rookie of the Year and finished second in the MVP voting to Miguel Cabrera twice.
He’s a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but you’ve probably already heard that, or seen it, a time or two.
Trout, who plays center field for Mike Scioscia’s Angels, will have plenty of fans in the stands Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon.
He will have one in the Phillies’ dugout, as well.
“I think we’re all fans of each other,” said Ryan Howard, himself a former Rookie of the Year and MVP winner. “All we’ve been able to do is hear about him because we never play against them.”
Read more on the Phillies from Comcast SportsNet by clicking here.
Interleague play brings the Trout — and don’t forget Albert Pujols (10 homers, 26 RBIs in his first 36 games) — to town. The Phillies are coming off a terrible loss in New York on Sunday. They blew a three-run lead in the ninth and lost, 5-4, in 11 innings to the Mets (see story).
“We’re not looking at one guy, we’re looking at an entire team,” Howard said. “We need to regroup and pull it together and get ready for the entire Angels team, not just Trout.”
Howard conceded that Trout is special.
And what impresses Howard most about Trout?
“I would say his poise,” Howard said. “I think the way he’s handled himself with all the attention and the hype, just the way he’s carried himself, it’s impressive. I’m not one to throw the age thing around, but for being so young, he’s handled everything like a true veteran with a lot of maturity.”
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)