May 13, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Trout, 22, is on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week.
In his two full seasons in the majors, he has been American League Rookie of the Year and finished second in the MVP voting to Miguel Cabrera twice.
He’s a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but you’ve probably already heard that, or seen it, a time or two.
Trout, who plays center field for Mike Scioscia’s Angels, will have plenty of fans in the stands Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon.
He will have one in the Phillies’ dugout, as well.
“I think we’re all fans of each other,” said Ryan Howard, himself a former Rookie of the Year and MVP winner. “All we’ve been able to do is hear about him because we never play against them.”
Read more on the Phillies from Comcast SportsNet by clicking here.
Interleague play brings the Trout — and don’t forget Albert Pujols (10 homers, 26 RBIs in his first 36 games) — to town. The Phillies are coming off a terrible loss in New York on Sunday. They blew a three-run lead in the ninth and lost, 5-4, in 11 innings to the Mets (see story).
“We’re not looking at one guy, we’re looking at an entire team,” Howard said. “We need to regroup and pull it together and get ready for the entire Angels team, not just Trout.”
Howard conceded that Trout is special.
And what impresses Howard most about Trout?
“I would say his poise,” Howard said. “I think the way he’s handled himself with all the attention and the hype, just the way he’s carried himself, it’s impressive. I’m not one to throw the age thing around, but for being so young, he’s handled everything like a true veteran with a lot of maturity.”
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)