May 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
After sitting out the past week while being day-to-day with a back injury second baseman Omar Infante is headed to the disabled list and the Royals have called up Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A to take his place on the roster.
Infante previously missed some time last month after being hit in the face with a pitch. He’s hit .267 with two homers and a .717 OPS through 30 games of a four-year, $30.25 million contract signed this offseason.
Johnny Giavotella has been subbing for Infante at second base and figures to continue seeing most of the action there, as Ciriaco is a journeyman utility-caliber player who lacks upside at age 28. Giavotella has yet do much in the majors and he’s now too old to be a prospect, but he’s a career .320 hitter in 323 games at Triple-A.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)