May 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
After sitting out the past week while being day-to-day with a back injury second baseman Omar Infante is headed to the disabled list and the Royals have called up Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A to take his place on the roster.
Infante previously missed some time last month after being hit in the face with a pitch. He’s hit .267 with two homers and a .717 OPS through 30 games of a four-year, $30.25 million contract signed this offseason.
Johnny Giavotella has been subbing for Infante at second base and figures to continue seeing most of the action there, as Ciriaco is a journeyman utility-caliber player who lacks upside at age 28. Giavotella has yet do much in the majors and he’s now too old to be a prospect, but he’s a career .320 hitter in 323 games at Triple-A.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)