May 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
After sitting out the past week while being day-to-day with a back injury second baseman Omar Infante is headed to the disabled list and the Royals have called up Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A to take his place on the roster.
Infante previously missed some time last month after being hit in the face with a pitch. He’s hit .267 with two homers and a .717 OPS through 30 games of a four-year, $30.25 million contract signed this offseason.
Johnny Giavotella has been subbing for Infante at second base and figures to continue seeing most of the action there, as Ciriaco is a journeyman utility-caliber player who lacks upside at age 28. Giavotella has yet do much in the majors and he’s now too old to be a prospect, but he’s a career .320 hitter in 323 games at Triple-A.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)