May 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
After sitting out the past week while being day-to-day with a back injury second baseman Omar Infante is headed to the disabled list and the Royals have called up Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A to take his place on the roster.
Infante previously missed some time last month after being hit in the face with a pitch. He’s hit .267 with two homers and a .717 OPS through 30 games of a four-year, $30.25 million contract signed this offseason.
Johnny Giavotella has been subbing for Infante at second base and figures to continue seeing most of the action there, as Ciriaco is a journeyman utility-caliber player who lacks upside at age 28. Giavotella has yet do much in the majors and he’s now too old to be a prospect, but he’s a career .320 hitter in 323 games at Triple-A.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 10
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 11
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)