May 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
After sitting out the past week while being day-to-day with a back injury second baseman Omar Infante is headed to the disabled list and the Royals have called up Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A to take his place on the roster.
Infante previously missed some time last month after being hit in the face with a pitch. He’s hit .267 with two homers and a .717 OPS through 30 games of a four-year, $30.25 million contract signed this offseason.
Johnny Giavotella has been subbing for Infante at second base and figures to continue seeing most of the action there, as Ciriaco is a journeyman utility-caliber player who lacks upside at age 28. Giavotella has yet do much in the majors and he’s now too old to be a prospect, but he’s a career .320 hitter in 323 games at Triple-A.
- The beauty of belief 7
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)