Saul Katz denies he’s interested in selling his share of the Mets

May 13, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

mets logo

Yesterday the New York Times reported that Saul Katz, president and part-owner of the New York Mets, was looking to sell his interest in the team. Katz issued a statement last night saying “nah”

There is no truth to the reports of any intention of selling.  I have no intention of selling my share of the Mets nor have I ever had any intention of selling my share.

Well alrighty then.

Enjoy the continued Wilpon Dynsasty, everyone.

1. cruuuzcontrol - May 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Craig, in the blurb on the front page you intimate that Met fans would be disappointed by the fact that Katz may be interested in selling the team… On the contrary, I think most Met fans would be pretty pleased. It certainly wouldn’t be hard to find a buyer, and, assuming the Wilpons can’t buy Katz out (it’s pretty much guaranteed they cannot), a new owner, with no relationship or allegiance to the Wilpons, would likely put pressure on them to improve the organization or eventually buy the Wilpons out. This is pretty great news.

• asimonetti88 - May 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM

If he were interested then yes I’m sure the Mets’ fans would be stoked. But if you read the article, he said he has no interest in selling.

2. sdelmonte - May 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Some of us like the Wilpons. Really. Don’t assume everyone who roots for the Mets wants them gone.

• Reflex - May 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM

If you like the Wilpons then you are not a Mets fan. End of story.

3. cruuuzcontrol - May 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM

@asimonetti: If you believe the denial, then yes, it’s true Katz isn’t interested in selling. I don’t believe it.

@sdelmonte: I don’t believe the Wilpons are evil incarnate, as some Met fans do… But I think the Mets could benefit from better leadership at the top. And I don’t think the Wilpons have to be out for that better leadership to come forward.

• Reflex - May 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM

The Wilpons knowingly assisted Madoff in scamming investors and benefitted from that scam personally. I don’t know if that’s ‘evil incarnate’ or not, but its pretty slimy.

4. mtr75 - May 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

The Mets “could benefit from better leadership at the top”? That’s the understatement of the century. These are the clowns still paying Bobby Bonilla $1.5 million a year and will be for the next 20 years. Bobby flipping Bonilla. The Mts are the laughing stock of baseball thanks the Wilpons’ investment strategy. They don’t have the money to run a major league club, period.

5. 52nites - May 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Katz is testing the waters. Stories like this don’t appear from thin air. If he can find a sucker to off load and keep Freddy and Jeff majority owners he would sell.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3495)